"The Land of Fire and Ice" Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík by peach93
Reykjavík Travel Guide: 946 reviews and 3,163 photos
For nearly my entire adult life I had wanted to go to Iceland. When I was 18 I had envisioned it as a wild and exotic escape from the drudgery and ignorance that I percieved as surrounding me, an oasis of pure air and sea, full of beautiful and cultured people. Money was the main reason I never went. It is perhaps one of the most expensive places in the world. So when I had the opportunity this summer to stop in Reykjavik on my way home from Europe I took it. I'm so glad that I did.
When I first got to Reykjavik I was surprised by how small it was. It looks more like a quaint fishing village than the bustling metropolis I had envisioned. But this city makes up for in quality what it lacks in quantity. It is gorgeous and loaded with things to do and see. It is also very easy to walk around in.
There is a feeling that you get in Iceland, even in Reykjavik its largest city, that you have somehow traveled back in time. Everywhere you turn there is the face of the ancient. It is in the volcanic landscape, in the mountains that rise from the sea, and even in the Icelanders themselves who take great pride in their ancient viking heritage and language. Here you get a real sense of what it could have felt like to be one of those vikings landing on its rocky shores.
This restaurant, also known as the One Woman Vegetarian Restaurant, serves both macrobiotic and regular veggie meals. It... more travel advice
This shop, like several others in Reykjavik, sells handmade wool items made from Icelandic wool. The quality of the... more travel advice
peach93's Related Pages
Reykjavík Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Reykjavík - my home town."
- "Reykjavik's Peculiar Charm"
- "The Land of Fire and Ice"
- "Reykjavik - Northern Gem"
- "A Quick Northern Jaunt"
- "Quirky City !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Reykjavík
- Hotels in Reykjavík
- Transportation in Reykjavík
- Nightlife in Reykjavík
- Restaurants in Reykjavík
- Shopping in Reykjavík
- Warnings and Dangers in Reykjavík
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Reykjavík
- 32 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Reykjavík?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Reykjavík
Photos in ReykjavíkSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- New Orleans Intro, 42 reviews, 52 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lowell Intro, 36 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík Intro, 32 reviews, 42 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth Intro, 13 reviews, 50 photos, 5 travelogues
- Saint Petersburg Intro, 19 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Stockholm Intro, 15 reviews, 39 photos, 1 travelogue
- Philadelphia Intro, 20 reviews, 29 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tulum Intro, 16 reviews, 32 photos, 3 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 23 reviews, 24 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bar Harbor Intro, 16 reviews, 30 photos, 1 travelogue