"The Land of Fire and Ice" Top 5 Page for this destination Reykjavík by peach93

Reykjavík Travel Guide: 931 reviews and 3,108 photos

For nearly my entire adult life I had wanted to go to Iceland. When I was 18 I had envisioned it as a wild and exotic escape from the drudgery and ignorance that I percieved as surrounding me, an oasis of pure air and sea, full of beautiful and cultured people. Money was the main reason I never went. It is perhaps one of the most expensive places in the world. So when I had the opportunity this summer to stop in Reykjavik on my way home from Europe I took it. I'm so glad that I did.

When I first got to Reykjavik I was surprised by how small it was. It looks more like a quaint fishing village than the bustling metropolis I had envisioned. But this city makes up for in quality what it lacks in quantity. It is gorgeous and loaded with things to do and see. It is also very easy to walk around in.

There is a feeling that you get in Iceland, even in Reykjavik its largest city, that you have somehow traveled back in time. Everywhere you turn there is the face of the ancient. It is in the volcanic landscape, in the mountains that rise from the sea, and even in the Icelanders themselves who take great pride in their ancient viking heritage and language. Here you get a real sense of what it could have felt like to be one of those vikings landing on its rocky shores.

• Last visit to Reykjavík: Aug 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 5, 2005

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Stunning tips you have. I would love to visit this country one day ;-)

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Planning my trip next month and was thrilled to find your excellent page! Happyiest of birthdays to you Emi :)

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Hi Emilienoelle Although I am amazed at your knowledge about my country, just wanted to clarify this one. Alcohol was not banned at any time in Iceland. Only beer was not allowed up until 1989. I could tell you stories.... Cheers erik

• Redang's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2008 at 9:40 AM

Yes, this city offers more than you can expect, I liked very much, no to mention the country itself

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2008 at 4:06 AM

Hi Emilie! Fantastic page here, especially the local customs! My dad has been to Reykjavik, but I haven't had the privilege yet :-( All Tips read, rated and really appreciated! Hugs - Jess :-)

• Hikerpark's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2008 at 7:58 AM

Great tips for Iceland. It makes me want to go there!

• Mar 31, 2008 at 5:06 PM

Five star local custom and general tips!!! You must have got fit carrying all those rocks around ;)

• shohman's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2007 at 5:54 PM

I know, my blood is slowly thinning. It will be good practice for Toronto in January :)

• Dominiques's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2007 at 2:38 AM

A cat lover, that can't be bad. ;) Definitely want to go to Iceland, only it's a tad too expensive for me. Great pictures, though. Dominique

• inuit's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2007 at 12:47 AM

just got back from Iceland and flying there again in few days :-)

Badges & Stats in Reykjavík

Have you been to Reykjavík?

Latest Activity in Reykjavík