"Unesco-listed castle - Caernarfon, Wales" Top 5 Page for this destination Caernarfon by kelnsha
Caernarfon Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 424 photos
Architecturally one of the most impressive of all of the castles in Wales. It's defensive capabilities were not as powerful as those of King Edward I's other castles such as Harlech and Beaumaris but Caernarfon was instead intended as a seat of power and as a symbol of English dominance over the subdued Welsh.
Free internet access is available here.
Caernarfon occupies a special place in the history of Wales. From Roman times, it has been a site of strategic and symbolic importance, forever enshrined in the Mabinogion tale of Macsen Wledig; a legend that King Edward I chose to build on when, in 1283, he commanded the construction of a mighty fortress-palace here.
- Pros:One of the cheaper castle admission charges in UK
- Cons:Drizzling in late October
- In a nutshell:Home to the Wales, most magnificent castle
This was the principal landward entrance to the town. Here Greengate Street passes under a stone bridge, which... more travel advice
One of the most interesting features in the castle is the multiple groupings of arrowloops at two levels in the curtain... more travel advice
kelnsha's Related Pages
Caernarfon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Royal Town"
- "Caernarfon - Fortress town"
- "Unesco-listed castle - Caernarfon, Wales"
- "Caernarfon on a grey day"
- "The perfect ending"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caernarfon
- Hotels in Caernarfon
- Transportation in Caernarfon
- Nightlife in Caernarfon
- Restaurants in Caernarfon
- Shopping in Caernarfon
- Warnings and Dangers in Caernarfon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caernarfon
- 17 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Caernarfon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caernarfon
Photos in CaernarfonSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 83 reviews, 254 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Similan Intro, 21 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Redang Intro, 40 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kowloon Intro, 26 reviews, 102 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manado Intro, 19 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 26 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bitung Intro, 14 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pulau Perhentian Besar Intro, 17 reviews, 85 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hoi An Intro, 23 reviews, 69 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 17 reviews, 72 photos