"Pulau Mabul" Pulau Mabul by kelnsha
Pulau Mabul Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 71 photos
Situated within easy diving-boat distance of Pulau Sipadan, the diving resorts on Pulau Mabul was originally developed as a way of having more luxurious accommodation for ecological reasons together with overcrowding at Pulau Sipadan. However, divers making dives there in the day and at night soon realized that there was good muck diving and these sites have become diving destinations in their own right.
Slightly larger than Pulau Sipadan, with coconut palms, resorts, a police post and a semi-legal fishing village of Filipino Sea Gypsies on its northwestern beach. Pulau Mabul lies on the northern end of a larger reef on the edge of the continental shelf.
The diving is mainly sand and coral rubble covered in algae and the visibility can be as low as 3m (10ft) but every hole seems to be inhabited: Ghost Pipefish, frogfish, gobies, shrimps, Mandarinfish, Crocodilefish, Flamboyant Cuttlefish, cowfish and numerous species of nudibranchs. Sea snakes are commonly seen underwater but can sometimes be found on land at night.
- Pros:Good muck diving!
- Cons:Getting more crowded with more resorts
- In a nutshell:One of the closest islands to Pulau Sipadan
Mostly treated as a shallow dive. It has a profusion of nudibranchs among a myriad of reef fish: shoals of catfish,... more travel advice
kelnsha's Related Pages
Pulau Mabul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pulau Mabul - perfect island and perfect diving"
- "Mabul island underwaterworld 1"
- "Pulau Mabul"
- "Pulau Mabul (Mabul Island)"
- "Sipadan, Mabul & Kapalai Islands, Borneo, Malaysia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pulau Mabul
- Hotels in Pulau Mabul
- Transportation in Pulau Mabul
- Warnings and Dangers in Pulau Mabul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pulau Mabul
- 2 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Pulau Mabul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pulau Mabul
Photos in Pulau MabulSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Singapore Intro, 83 reviews, 254 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ko Similan Intro, 21 reviews, 116 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Redang Intro, 40 reviews, 91 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kowloon Intro, 26 reviews, 102 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manado Intro, 19 reviews, 109 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pulau Tioman Intro, 26 reviews, 91 photos, 5 travelogues
- Bitung Intro, 14 reviews, 91 photos, 4 travelogues
- Pulau Perhentian Besar Intro, 17 reviews, 85 photos, 4 travelogues
- Hoi An Intro, 23 reviews, 69 photos
- Phnom Penh Intro, 17 reviews, 72 photos