"Mystical Praha" Top 5 Page for this destination Hlavni Mesto Praha by ChristaV
Hlavni Mesto Praha Travel Guide: 11,476 reviews and 23,302 photos
The hundred spire city that was built for romance and fairytales. What a fantastic place to visit with so much to offer the wary soul.
Amid Prague's cobblestone streets and gold-tip spires, new galleries, cafés, and clubs teem with young Czechs (the middle-aged are generally too busy trying to make a living) and members of the city's colony of "expatriates." New shops and, perhaps most noticeably, scads of new restaurants have opened, expanding the city's culinary reach far beyond the traditional roast pork and dumplings. Many have something to learn in the way of presentation and service, but Praguers still marvel at a variety that was unthinkable not so many years ago.
The arts and theater are also thriving in the "new" Prague. Young playwrights, some writing in English, regularly stage their own works. Weekly poetry readings are standing room only. Classical music maintains its famous standards, while rock, jazz, and dance clubs are jammed nightly. The arts of the new era -- nonverbal theater, "installation" art, world music -- are as trendy in Prague as in any European capital, but possess a distinctive Czech flavor.
Prague regained its status as a national capital in 1918, with the creation of the modern Czechoslovak state, and quickly asserted itself in the interwar period as a vital cultural center. Although the city escaped World War II essentially intact -- a minor miracle since the country is bordered by Germany to the west and Poland to the east -- Czechoslovakia fell under the political and cultural domination of the Soviet Union until the 1989 popular uprisings. The election of dissident playwright Václav Havel to the post of national president set the stage for the city's renaissance, which has since proceeded at a dizzying, quite Bohemian rate.
ChristaV's Related Pages
Hlavni Mesto Praha Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mystical Praha"
- "* PRAHA *"
- "Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic"
- "Prague or Praha"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hlavni Mesto Praha
- Hotels in Hlavni Mesto Praha
- Transportation in Hlavni Mesto Praha
- Nightlife in Hlavni Mesto Praha
- Restaurants in Hlavni Mesto Praha
- Shopping in Hlavni Mesto Praha
- Warnings and Dangers in Hlavni Mesto Praha
- See All...
Explore the World
- Casablanca Hotels
- Boca Barranca Hotels
- Bacolod Hotels
- New Mexico
- State of Kerala
- San José del Cabo
- San Borja Hotels
- Puerto de la Cruz
- La Línea de la Concepción
- Lake Charles Hotels
- Hat Yai
- Playa de Aro
- Kuala Kedah Hotels
- Le Touquet-Paris-Plage
- Saint Augustine
- Dar es Salaam
Badges & Stats in Hlavni Mesto Praha
- 11 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Hlavni Mesto Praha?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hlavni Mesto Praha
Photos in Hlavni Mesto PrahaSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Ireland Intro, 18 reviews, 27 photos
- Chiang Mai Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Kenya Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Estepona Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hlavni Mesto Praha Intro, 11 reviews, 9 photos
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos
- Phuket Intro, 8 reviews, 10 photos
- Garmisch-Partenkirchen Intro, 9 reviews, 9 photos
- Amsterdam Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
Top Hlavni Mesto Praha hotels
- Prague Hotels
- 11390 Reviews - 23017 Photos