"Alupka - The English Corner of the Crimea" Alupka by Pupa
Alupka Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 136 photos
A small place located on the mountainous area, so you'll have to pass lots of stairs every day;)
It's famous for the big Vorontsov Palace (Vorontsovskiy Dvorets)
It was built as a summer residence of famous russian statesman, general-governor of Novorussian area - M. Vorontsov.
The project was made by the english architecture Eduard Blore (he also projected the Westminster Abbey and some parts of the Buckingham Palace). The place for building was not perfect at all, but Vorontsov liked the view of the highest peak of the crimean mountains - Ai-Petri so much, that he decided to land exactly there, beneath this mountain. Many people were building it from 1830 till 1846. The park was built in 4 years (1842-1846).
Vorontsov spent his childhood in England, that's why he wanted so much his palace in the english style and also the park.
In the south of Ukraine, in the Crimea there are the Crimean Mountains:) So, the highest peak is Ai-Petri. it's 1200 meters high. You can take a special bus in Alupka that will bring you to the foot of the mountain, where you can take a tour on the rope road to the peak. This rope road is the longest one in Europe that doesn't have fulcrum (support) - only just one stop before reaching the peak. There you'll be able to enjoy a wonderful view, great air,excurtions and legends of the mountain, turkish and crimean tatar cuisine, horse and camel riding walks.
- Pros:A very beautiful place for a holiday
- Cons:lots of stairs - but it can be pro's too;)
- In a nutshell:A place that will leave you lots of impressions.
Don't miss it even though you'll have to pass a huge queue. You'll be impressed when you get there. And also during your... more travel advice
Pupa's Related Pages
Alupka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alupka and its Palace"
- "Alupka - The English Corner of the Crimea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alupka
- Hotels in Alupka
- Transportation in Alupka
- Shopping in Alupka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alupka
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Alupka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alupka
Top 10 Pages
- Odessa Intro, 12 reviews, 9 photos
- Prague Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sevastopol' Intro, 7 reviews, 6 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yalta Intro, 7 reviews, 5 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kharkiv Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Alupka Intro, 5 reviews, 6 photos
- Hurzuf Intro, 4 reviews, 2 photos
- Simferopol Intro, 1 review, 1 photo
- Lugansk Intro, 1 photo
- Mykolayiv Intro, 1 photo