"Epidavros" Epidaurus by travelthrough
Epidaurus Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 199 photos
Epidavros (300-400 BC) on the Greek Peloponnese peninsula is the best Greek theater (besides maybe Ephesos on the Turkish west coast!). The typical characteristic of Greek theaters is that they are built in the hill. Enjoy this mythical ancient atmosphere.
Epidavros was more than just a place to go to dramas, comedies and tragedies. It was a settlement to worship the Gods such as Asclepios, many ruins such as stadiums, gymnasiums and basements of temples can still be found in the large area.
Epidavros nowadays: Nowadays from spring until fall, plays are held. I visited such plays twice, both in modern Greek mixed with ancient Greek choirs: "Antigone" and "Iphigenia in Tauris". Not all performances are good, but some are really beautiful - depends on the composer of the music and on the costumes they wear. Mainly, such spectacles are visited by local Greeks. The locals of Epidavros get the chance to go there for free at the rehearsal before the Great Premiere.
- Pros:great magical atmosphere
- Cons:touristy spot
travelthrough's Related Pages
Epidaurus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sanctuary&Theatre in Epidaurus"
- "Theatre and Healing"
- "Epidaurus - the harmony of nature and architecture"
- "There are three Epidaure"
- "Birthplace of theater"
- "The best theatre in the world"
- "Sanctuary of Asklepios at Ancient Epidaurus"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Epidaurus
- Hotels in Epidaurus
- Transportation in Epidaurus
- Restaurants in Epidaurus
- Shopping in Epidaurus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Epidaurus
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Epidaurus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Epidaurus
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Bad Ischl Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madeira Island Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kaunas Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Dubai Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Malta Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Gastein Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue