"Sofia -" Sofia by travelthrough
Sofia Travel Guide: 1,549 reviews and 3,855 photos
Sofia, Bulgaria´s capital, is a city full of contradictions: Ancient and modern - calm and hip - in many parts poor, then again booming - depressing and interesting - European and Asian?
Sofia has many interesting sights to offer, however be aware that not everything functions the way it should. The former Csar´s Palace is now being renovated and half empty, the beautiful Oriental Baths do have hot springs still, but are not used as a bath and currently empty. There is the Turkish history of the city (the mosque, the building of the archeological museum) with its strong culinary influence, the exotic Sofia with the old ladies market (a must-see for every tourist), the modern Sofia with buildings around the governmental area, and the former communist Sofia with its satellite suburbs and blocks and the "Kulturpalast". And finally, there is the natural, romantic Sofia with Mount Vitosha and its hidden monastries. I will try to show some very nice impressions of this city on my page.
Built in the famous Jugendstil, the buildings was used as a public bath for many years. Now, Bulgarians and tourists still make a pilgrimage there to drink from the hot springs coming out from underground.
The angel of Sophia, an allegorical figure with a golden face, golden arms and feet, holding a laurel wreath and an owl (like the Greek goddesses Athena and Nike) is the modern symbol of Bulgaria's capital.
- Pros:calm, lots of history, cheap
- Cons:depressing, not so much to see
- In a nutshell:An interesting place to visit for a few days
travelthrough's Related Pages
Sofia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sofia Guide - One of the Oldest Cities in Europe"
- "My home town"
- "First Steps to Explaning Bulgarian Spirit"
- "Sofia - Capital at the foot of Mount Vitosha"
- "capital of Bulgaria"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sofia
- Hotels in Sofia
- Transportation in Sofia
- Nightlife in Sofia
- Restaurants in Sofia
- Shopping in Sofia
- Warnings and Dangers in Sofia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sofia
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Sofia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sofia
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Bad Ischl Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madeira Island Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kaunas Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Dubai Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Malta Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gastein Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue