"Madeira...Eternal spring in the Atlantic" Madeira Island by travelthrough
Madeira Island Travel Guide: 786 reviews and 1,935 photos
Madeira is a highly impressive island: Houses harmoniously pinched between plants and steep mountain terraces, the blue ocean and a colorful paradise of flowers, starting from orchids to azalea! The people are very kind, although a bit reserved to foreigners. They are very helpful, especially when you speak Portuguese. Make sure you are not scared of heights when taking one of the local buses going across the hills and ranges...
All the houses are made of modern substance and painted in bright colors. Only Santana in the North has maintained a few traditional triangular one-room houses with straw-covered roofs. The average house is painted in pastel colors (mainly white or light pink) with a red-brick roof and, of course, a garden full of plants. In the 19th century, Portuguese and British settlers, in particular English aristocrats, resided in beautiful colonial-style villas, so-called "Quintas", which exist until today. They are private property, but some can be visited for touristic purposes - e.g. the Quinta da Boa Vista in Funchal.
Visit my travelogue "Flowers in Madeira" to see more pictures!
- Pros:beautiful sceneries and lots of flowers, a wonderful climate
- Cons:people somewhat reserved
- In a nutshell:a wonderful place to visit
The old market of Funchal is a must-see because of the beautiful interiors and the tropical fruit and vegetables they... more travel advice
travelthrough's Related Pages
Madeira Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Madeira Island - Sculpted by Gods"
- "Madeira - Small archipelago of volcanic orgin."
- "Madeira: spectacular island of tunnels"
- "ISLAND OF FLOWERS"
- "ilha da madeira"
- "An island of flowers and stunning scenery"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Madeira Island
- Hotels in Madeira Island
- Transportation in Madeira Island
- Nightlife in Madeira Island
- Restaurants in Madeira Island
- Shopping in Madeira Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Madeira Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Madeira Island
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Madeira Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Madeira Island
Top 10 Pages
- Vienna Intro, 10 reviews, 12 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sydney Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Bad Ischl Intro, 3 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Madeira Island Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kaunas Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Dubai Intro, 6 reviews, 9 photos
- Malta Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Gastein Intro, 5 reviews, 9 photos
- Melbourne Intro, 5 reviews, 8 photos
- Paris Intro, 11 photos, 1 travelogue