Riga Things to Do Tips by bijo69
Riga Things to Do: 732 reviews and 1,471 photos
The impressive building in which the museum is situated was built in 1905 and it is the oldest of its kind in the Baltic States.
The museum has 52.000 objects and naturally the focus is on Latvian Art, but there are also lots of paintings from other Baltic and Russian artists.
Apart from the permanent collection there are always temporary exhibitions to visit.
The Museum is open from Tuesday to Sunday from 11am to 5pm.
Address: 10a Valdemara Kr.
Phone: 732 32 04
The Orthodox Cathedral was built between 1876 and 1884. It has the typical features of most orthodox churches with its five cupolas.
During Soviet times the cathedral served as a planetarium and lecture hall. Nowadays the cathedral is again a fully working orthodox church.
Address: 23 Brivibas bulv
The impressive building of the opera was finished in 1863 and housed the German Theatre at that time. It was severly damaged by fire in 1882 and reconcructed upon the original design in 1887. The last major renovation took place from 1990-95.
Performances are held from September to end of May.
You can also arrange guided tours if you are in a group of minimum 10.
Address: Aspazijas bulv. 3
Phone: +371 7073820
The Freedom Monument was finished in 1935. The column is topped by the bronze statue of a woman holding up three golden stars. Those stars symbolize the three provinces of Latvia, Latgale, Kurzeme and Vidzeme.
A guard of honour stands in front of the monument and you can watch the changing of the guards from 9am to 8pm on the hour.
Address: Bribivas iela
St. Jacobs Church is another one of those churches dating back to the early days of Riga. It was finished in 1225 and at that time was located outside the city walls and mainly visited by travellers. After being turned into a protestant church after the reformation in the 16th century it's again a Roman Catholic church these days.
Admission to this church is free
Address: 2 Klostera iela
The Three Brothers are said to be the best example for medieval residencial buildings in Riga. The oldest house (no. 17) was built in the 15th century, its brothers in the 17th and 18th centuries. No. 19 houses the Museum of Architecture.
Address: 17, 19, 21 Maza Pils iela
This house with was built in Jugendstil was named after two black cats situated on the roof. Story goes that the owner of the house was thrown out of the Great Guild at the end of the 19th century. Out of disrespect he had those cats put up with their backs turned towards the building of the Great Guild. Alas, after some time in court the man was admitted back to the illustrous guild and the cats were turned...
Address: 19 Meistaru iela
Great Guild on the right, Small Guild on the left
The Great Guild was the assembly house of a guild of rich merchants which had the trade monopoly until the 19th century. The building in today's shape was constructed in Gothic style in 1857 and was re-built into a concert hall after a fire in 1963.
The Small Guild belonged to the guild of craftsmen and nowadays building was finished in British Neo-Gothic style in 1866. Today it is used for cultural events.
Address: 5 and 6 Amatu iela
The recently restored Barracks are the longest building in Riga. You can find small shops, restaurants and offices inside.
Address: Torna iela
The powder tower is the only remaining of the 29 towers which were part of the city fortifications. It was first mentioned in 1330 and was used to store the gunpowder in the 17th century, hence its name.
Today it houses the War Museum, which I didn't visit.
Address: 20 Smilsu iela
More Reviews (6)
bijo69's Related Pages
Riga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A few days in Riga"
- "Riga - biggest town in Baltic States"
- "Riga - the capital of Baltic's"
- "Riga Latvia"
- "ART NOUVEAU RIGA!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riga
- Hotels in Riga
- Transportation in Riga
- Nightlife in Riga
- Restaurants in Riga
- Shopping in Riga
- Warnings and Dangers in Riga
- See All...
Explore the World
- Yuba Lake State Recreation Area Hotels
- Willoughby Beach Hotels
- Tanjay Hotels
- Clogherhead Hotels
- Ostseebad Binz
Badges & Stats in Riga
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Riga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riga
Photos in RigaSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 38 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 42 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 27 reviews, 59 photos
- Spain Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 30 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Western Australia Intro, 29 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Sofia Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cape Town Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
Latest Riga hotel reviews
- Reval Hotel Latvija
- 398 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Hotel Viesturs Riga
- 230 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Konventa Seta
- 176 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Best Eastern Victorija Hotel Riga
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Hotel Forums
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hotel Irina
- 70 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Hotel X-dream
- 112 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 15, 2013
- Friendly Fun Franks Backpackers Hostel
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Radisson SAS Daugava Hotel Riga
- 195 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Barons Bed & Breakfast Riga
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 16, 2013
- Balta Kaza
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 11, 2006
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Elizabete Hotel
- 10 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 12, 2013
- Hotel Garden Palace
- 115 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013
- Toss Hotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 29, 2013
- St. Peter's Church- 59 Reviews, 135 Photos
- Old Town- 49 Reviews, 122 Photos
- Latvian Riflemen Monument- 14 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Central Market- 23 Reviews, 59 Photos
- House of Blackheads- 37 Reviews, 75 Photos
- Art Nouveau Buildings- 30 Reviews, 77 Photos
- Dome Cathedral- 33 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Freedom Monument- 46 Reviews, 95 Photos
- Museum of the Occupation of Latvia- 27 Reviews, 52 Photos
- National Opera- 18 Reviews, 33 Photos
See All Riga Things to Do