"Plovdiv" Plovdiv by bijo69
Plovdiv Travel Guide: 449 reviews and 1,220 photos
Plovdiv is Bulgaria's second largest city and like all places there has a long history. Settled already back in 5000 BC by Thracians who built a fortress on one of Plovdiv's hills it was made a town by Philipp II from Macedonia in 342 BC and named after him Philipopolis. In 46 AD the Romand took over and re-named Philipopolis Trimontium. In later years Plovdiv was occupied by Goths and Huns before it became part of the Bulgarian Empire in 815. After the fall of the Bulgarian Empire the city belonged to Byzantium for a while until it fell under Ottoman control in 1365. During the following centuries Plovdiv became an important commercial centre and many impressing town houses were built during the National Revival period. In 1885 Plovdiv and Southern Bulgaria finally became part of the independant state of Bulgaria.
Naturally you can see the remains from those periods in the city: Romans ruins, National Revival Period houses and mosques.
This beautiful church is located right in the Old Town. The first church on these grounds was already built in the 4th... more travel advice
On the opposite site of Nebet Tepe is another of Plovdiv's hills: Bunardjika or Hill of the Liberators, so called... more travel advice
bijo69's Related Pages
Plovdiv Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My home city - European Cultural Capital for 2019"
- "City on the seven hills"
- "Bulgaria's Second City..."
- "Old Town"
- "Plovdiv, one of the oldest cities in the world."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Plovdiv
- Hotels in Plovdiv
- Transportation in Plovdiv
- Nightlife in Plovdiv
- Restaurants in Plovdiv
- Shopping in Plovdiv
- Warnings and Dangers in Plovdiv
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plovdiv
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Plovdiv?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plovdiv
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Where Should You Go in 2015?..."
- Wrote a Review Sv. Sv. Konstantin i Elena Church about old plovdiv in Plovdiv Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sv. Sv. Konstantin i Elena Church"
- updated a Plovdiv Travel Page "Plovdiv"
- Commented on one of ellielou's Plovdiv travel pages
Photos in PlovdivSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 38 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 42 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 27 reviews, 59 photos
- Spain Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 30 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Western Australia Intro, 29 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Sofia Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cape Town Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues