Varna Things to Do Tips by bijo69
Varna Things to Do: 134 reviews and 281 photos
Albena is another resort not far from Varna. It hasn't (yet) undergone the massive make-over you can see at Golden Sands and the hotels which I passed still looked like 18 years ago when I first visited Albena.
The beach in Albena is even nicer (wider) than in Golden Sands and suitable for all kinds of water sports.
Directions: 31 km North of Varna. Minibuses leave from Makedonski Dom on Bul. Maria Luisa. A one-way trip is 4 BGN.
If you're looking for a typical beach holiday, head out to Golden Sands. The resort is located 18km North of Varna and has indeed a kilometers long stretch of fine golden sand. You have got a vast collection of accommodation here from recently built luxurious hotels to the more modest buildings from socialist times. Golden Sands offers all kinds of recreational actvities and is very popular (crowded) in summer.
Directions: 18km North of Varna. Several city buses travel between Varna and Golden Sands, a one way trip is 0,80 BGN.
Varna's beach stretches along Morska Gradina to the passenger port. It's quite wide, but still can get very crowded in summer.
The Sea Garden stretches for about 8km along Varna's coast. It's a beautiful park and it's always full of people. Inside the park you've the zoo, an aquarium, a delphinarium, a terrarium and a planetarium. So the perfect place to keep you busy, even if it's raining.
The park was designed by the Czech architect Anton Novak and opened in 1862.
If you're interested in boats, the Naval Museum is the place to visit. It houses a collection of various items connected to the history of Bulgaria's navy aswell as some boats which are displayed in the park outside the museum.
The museum is open from Monday to Friday from 10am to 6pm. Admission is 4BGN
Address: bul. Primorski 2
Varna has a couple of Roman ruins and biggest are the Roman Thermae. The original complex is thought to have covered an area 7000 sq metres, only a small portion of it still stands now. The baths were built in the late 2nd century AD when Varna (Odessos at that time) was an important Roman port.
You can wander around the ruins Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 5pm. Admission is 4 BGN.
Address: ul. Khan Krum
Phone: 052/456 476
This beautiful cathedral was built between 1880 and 1886 and is the third in size in Bulgaria (largest is the Aleksander Nevski Cathedral in Sofia). It has very colourful murals from the late 1940ies.
Admission is free, but if you want to take photos inside, you'll be charged 5 BGN. The cathedral is open from 6am to 10pm.
Address: pl. Mitroplolitska Simeon
Phone: 052/225 435
Varna's Archeological Museum has an amazing collection of artefacts from Varna's distant past. The oldest ever found items made out of gold are displayed here. They originate from a necropolis near the centre of Varna and are about 6000 years old. Apart from that there's a lot more gold to see from Thracian origins aswell as Greek and Roman ceramics and sculptures.
There's also a large collection of medieval icons on display.
The museum is open Tuesday to Sunday from 10am to 5pm, Admission is 10 BGN.
Address: ul. Maria Luisa 41
Phone: 052/237 057
More Reviews (6)
bijo69's Related Pages
Varna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Local Brewery and Some Superb Restaurants..."
- "Varna- one of my favourite cities"
- "Varna - our sea Capital"
- "Varna - Nice City with Beautiful Girls"
- "The Bulgarian Black sea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Varna
- Hotels in Varna
- Transportation in Varna
- Nightlife in Varna
- Restaurants in Varna
- Shopping in Varna
- Warnings and Dangers in Varna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Varna
- 14 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Varna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varna
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bulgaria Intro, 38 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Moscow Intro, 42 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritius Intro, 27 reviews, 59 photos
- Spain Intro, 24 reviews, 54 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Queensland Intro, 30 reviews, 47 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Western Australia Intro, 29 reviews, 39 photos, 2 travelogues
- Isla de Tenerife Intro, 16 reviews, 46 photos
- Sofia Intro, 23 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Cape Town Intro, 16 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 16 reviews, 34 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (107)
- Sea Garden - Morska Gradina- 7 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Roman Thermae- 10 Reviews, 31 Photos
- Golden Sands - Zlatni Piasaci- 4 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Cathedral of the Assumption of the Virgin- 13 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Dolphinarium- 3 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Stone Forest - Pobitite Kamani- 3 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Walking- 5 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Archeological Museum- 5 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Naval Museum- 3 Reviews, 9 Photos
- By Night- 2 Reviews, 4 Photos
See All Varna Things to Do