"Capital City of Saaremaa Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Kuressaare by jckim
Kuressaare Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 146 photos
Kuressaare developed on the shore of the Livonia Bay where ancient islanders had their stronghold and trading place. After the German-Danish conquests in the 1230’s the control of Riga’s bishop over the island began to strengthen. Near the bishopric castle, erected in the 14th cent. and still there today, the town developed. From 1559-1645, Saaremaa belonged to Denmark and Kuressaare obtained the freedom of a town on 8 May 1563.From 1645-1710, Saaremaa was under the Swedish crown and these years marked a rapid economic and social development of the town.From 1710-1918, Kuressaare and Saaremaa were a part of the Russian Empire. In 1710 Russian troops set the town on fire, leaving only 5 buildings in Kuressaare. On 1 October 1990, Kuressaare was the first town in Estonia to re-gain the status of a local authority and since then Kuressaare has again witnessed a rapid development. Kuressaare today, is a place where you can meet open minded islanders with a friendly sense of humour in the middle of urban culture.
( From City Web )
- Cons:Weather, Undeveloped
- In a nutshell:Some Different Feel
jckim's Related Pages
Kuressaare Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Edge of Nowhere"
- "Capital City of Saaremaa Island"
- "Kuressaare, Estonia"
- "Knighty Kuressaare"
- "Little Capital of Saaremaa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kuressaare
- Hotels in Kuressaare
- Transportation in Kuressaare
- Restaurants in Kuressaare
- Shopping in Kuressaare
- Warnings and Dangers in Kuressaare
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kuressaare
- 16 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Kuressaare?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kuressaare
Photos in KuressaareSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Seoul Intro, 166 reviews, 305 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination South Korea Intro, 67 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jeju-do Intro, 45 reviews, 112 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyongju Intro, 43 reviews, 70 photos, 3 travelogues
- Zagreb Intro, 47 reviews, 55 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tallinn County Intro, 47 reviews, 51 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 41 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kotor Intro, 37 reviews, 39 photos
- Dubrovnik Intro, 35 reviews, 37 photos
- Sarajevo Intro, 34 reviews, 36 photos