"South Africa by Caravan" South Africa by Myndo

South Africa Travel Guide: 12,016 reviews and 28,579 photos

Ok. I have to admit, this was not my idea, but when my parents offered me to come with them into the holidays one last time, I couldnĀ“t resist: especially, when I heard the Destination: South Africa.

So here are my tips.

Time: 3 1/2 weeks

Caravan: Spirit 5 (made for 5 people, very good for us 3), no 4WD

Route:
from Johannesburg to Cape Town

Johannesburg - Middleburg - Botshabele Camp - Sabie - Pilgrims Rest - Blyde River Canyon - Hoedspruit - Orpen - Kruger Ntl Park - Kirkmans Camp - Swaziland - Westland Park - Durban - Shell Beach - East London - Port Alfred - Addo Elefant Ntl Park - Port Elizabeth - Cape Recife - Jeffreys Bay - Tsitsikamma Ntl Park - Natures Valley - Plettenburg Bay - Knysna - Wilderness Ntl Park - Outshoom - Robinson Pass - Mossel Bay - Swellendam - Stellenboesch - Fish Hoek - Cape Horn - Tablemountains - Cape Town

The blue underlined places I have more tips on (and they are my favorites). They are links direct to the pages. For the rest, see the tips on this side.

... and the first stamps from Africa in my passport.
South Africa and Swaziland.
The blue sheet on the left is the visa - with a barcode. quite clever, I think.

• Pros:Landscapes, Animals and friendly people
  • Cons:(I try not to get too political)
  • In a nutshell:Africa for Beginners (like me)
  • Last visit to South Africa: Apr 2000
  • Intro Updated Sep 7, 2004

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2008 at 11:48 AM

I really like your lion picture! They used to sell lots of proteas in Switzerland years ago although many of them were actually from Israel. I just realised that I haven't seen any for a long time.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2006 at 1:44 AM

Oh, you are so lucky to have been invited along on this trip!! I've always wanted to do that coastal drive from Durban to Cape Town myself. What amazing scenery you saw in this wild and beautiful country! Thanks for the tour.

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2006 at 4:50 AM

Thank you for a super page! The beautiful photos make me miss my home even more Jen x

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2005 at 8:43 AM

Thank you for all your passionate comments about South africa - Jo x enjoy your honeymoon in Kenya

• glennkasner's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2004 at 11:14 PM

Very good South Africa pages! Glad you enjoyed your trip to our corner of the world. Look us up when you come back one day!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2004 at 6:25 AM

Thanks for visiting my Niagara Falls page. It is a spectacular view. South Africa is truly a gem. Durban, St. Lucia are special places. Lori.

• nigelw6443's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2004 at 3:07 AM

Excellent pages!

• R.Dettmann's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2004 at 2:19 AM

my parents will go in one week, but they are not taking me along - sad. The Dolphin place called samadai and is a bit in the south of egypt. have fun!

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 3:04 PM

Super overview of this interesting country - what a great opportunity for you! I love your shot of Koel Bay, great light! Terribly sad story about the Xhosa in Transkei.

• africaking's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2004 at 9:00 AM

Thanks for the ratings and the comment. I was there last in 1999. Your pages are very good, keep it up.

Myndo

“Wherever you go, there you are.”

Badges & Stats in South Africa

Have you been to South Africa?