"Scotland by Bike (Tandem)" Scotland by Myndo
Scotland Travel Guide: 12,522 reviews and 27,469 photos
Scotland by bike?!
Well, I have to say, you can at least try it before crying out loud.
It was a lot of fun - even though the weather was typical for Scotland ... do I need to say more?
So, we wanted to have some more "active" holidays, why not take the bike? And since we are together anyway, why not make it a little more "special" and take the Tandem?
Said and done.
We rented a Tandem - bike at our home (Basel) and arranged with the airline (Crossair then), that they take it with them to Edinburg. This can be done without any fuss, the Tandem (or other bulky item) just has to be announced before.
You may have to pay a little for the transportation (75 SFR it was, and they forgot it on the way back).
Taking the Tandem on the train is also possible. It has also to be announced and sometimes they only allow you to transport it on the sleeper train.
Time: 10 days (9.-19.9.1997)
Methods of Transportation:
Plane from Zurich to Edinburgh
Train from Edinburgh to Stirling
Tandem: around Scotland
Train from Fort William to Edinburgh
Plane from Edinburgh to Zurich
Route (as seen on the map):
1. day: Edinburg
2. day: Edinburg - Stirling (by train), Stirling - Kippen - Buchlyvie _ Drymen - Balloch
3. day: Balloch - Loch Lomond -Tarbet - Crianlarich - Bridge of Orchy
4. day: Bridge of Orchy - Glencoe - Ballachulish -Fort Williams - - Kinlochail - Glenfinnan -Lochailort
(Munster trip, because we couldn´t find a free place for the night)
5. day: Lochailort - Mallaig - ferry to the Isle of Skye - Isleornsay - Kyleakin
6. day: Kyleakin - Tollbridge back to the mainland - Kyle of Lochalsh - Invermoristan
7. day: Invermoristan - Fort Augustus - Invergarry - Loch Ness - Fort William
8. day: Fort William - Edinburgh by train
9. day: Edinburgh
10. day: Edinburgh - Zurich by plane
I am really sorry for the bad pictures.
The problem was, that I did not make a separate album but put them in my travelogue, that I wrote during the trip.
That travelogue I gave to my (then) boyfriend as a present ..
As you suppose right, we are not together anymore, but I persuaded him, to let me scan my travelogue.
So what you have here are actually the scans of the copies of the fotographs.....
- Pros:wonderful wild landscapes
- Cons:... the weather (what did you think?)
- In a nutshell:I would go back anytime.
I think this is a must see ... some sheep in this wild landscape. The scottish do mostly have sheep wich are white, but... more travel advice
Sometimes it is better to take the less driven roads .. you may happen onto a sight like this one (see pic). We had... more travel advice
Myndo's Related Pages
Scotland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Scotland For The Brave"
- "Scotland Travel Tips - Scotland Edinburgh Orkney"
- "My Scotland page"
- "Alba, Caledonia, "God's Country"; this is Scotland"
- "Scotland: fascinating and impressive"
- "Ben-UK's Scotland page"
- "Scotland, a sassenach's view"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Scotland
- Hotels in Scotland
- Transportation in Scotland
- Nightlife in Scotland
- Restaurants in Scotland
- Shopping in Scotland
- Warnings and Dangers in Scotland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Scotland
- 16 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Scotland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Scotland
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 48 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 55 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kenya Intro, 50 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 46 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tinos Island Intro, 31 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Thailand Intro, 43 reviews, 43 photos
- Egypt Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Central & Eastern Thailand Intro, 31 reviews, 35 photos
Top Scotland hotels
- Edinburgh Hotels
- 3411 Reviews - 6786 Photos
- Glasgow Hotels
- 1241 Reviews - 2065 Photos
- Aberdeen Hotels
- 486 Reviews - 887 Photos
- Inverness Hotels
- 339 Reviews - 758 Photos
- Oban Hotels
- 179 Reviews - 344 Photos
- Fort William Hotels
- 207 Reviews - 372 Photos
- Pitlochry Hotels
- 91 Reviews - 192 Photos
- Kingussie Hotels
- 1 Review - 2 Photos
- Melrose Hotels
- 20 Reviews - 58 Photos
- Stirling Hotels
- 251 Reviews - 769 Photos
- Perth Hotels
- 110 Reviews - 170 Photos
- Ayr Hotels
- 160 Reviews - 258 Photos
- Peebles Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Aviemore Hotels
- 46 Reviews - 77 Photos
- Arrochar Hotels
- 7 Reviews - 11 Photos