"A short trip through Northern Thailand" Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Thailand by Myndo

Northern Thailand Travel Guide: 3,336 reviews and 9,222 photos

This was the Route we took and the things we did / saw on our short Northern Thailand Trip.
We booked a 5 day tour with Diethelm travels (a firm that is quite big in doing trips in Thailand)
The name of the trip was "Golden Triangle" - and it promised to show us around Northern Thailand. Its Temples, Landscapes, Hilltribes, Doing things like boating on the River Mae Kong (Mekong) and Mae Kok (Mekok), also Elefant Riding and City tours.

So here is it:
1st day :
Start in Chiang Mai - visit a Karen Village - Hot Springs - Chiang Rai - Chiang Saen - Wat Phra Dat Kom Kitti - Mekong River - Golden Triangle

2nd day: Golden Triangle - Chiang Saen - Mae Sai - Fish Grotto - Doi Mae Salong - Tea plantations - Akha Village - Yao Village - Chiang Rai

3rd day: Chiang Rai - Mekok River - Elefant Riding - Lahu Village - Hmong Hilltribe Lodge

4th day: Hmong Hilltribe Lodge - Elefant Camp - Orchid Farm - Shopping Tour Chiang Mai (Jade, Silk, Umbrellas) - Kantoke dinner in the Evening - Night market

5th day: City tour Chiang Mai - Wat Phra Singh - Wat Chiang Man - Wat Doi Suthep

I have to say they made it real good. Very good organisation, also we were a very small group (only 4 people) so we could enjoy it all the more. Our guide also had a very nice way with the Hilltribe people, so we did nit only feel like we were gawking at them ( I am pretty sure the big groups will feel like walking through an exhibition or a zoo or a shop-street at some of their villages).

So northern Thailand was a very pleasant surprise. Full of wonderful magic looking landscapes, friendly people, very good food, comfortable clima ...

I would recommend this to anyone!

• Pros:Magic looking landscapes, friendly people, fabulous food, comfortable clima...
  • Cons:... well, sometimes you just feel like a tourist :-(
  • In a nutshell:Go there!
  • Last visit to Northern Thailand: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 14, 2005

• Oct 25, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Good interesting page

• septem's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Great pages, great tips and great photos. Juliana

• zumodemango's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2009 at 2:33 AM

Perfect trip with these tips!

• Jan 21, 2009 at 5:53 PM

How did you get there? I speak Chinese, so I'd love to go to that area.

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2009 at 5:27 PM

I've enjoyed my tour around Northern Thailand with you, thanks a lot for the great tips.

• egbundi's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM

Hi there, I intend to travel to Thailand in September for 5 days. Could you give me the contacts of the company that you used to plan your trip? Thanx........ Eva

• zazatann's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2006 at 5:51 AM

More surprise to see you come on tour with Diethelm because I'm a tourist guide for this company also. ...ha...

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2006 at 1:03 AM

Since I'll never get there, this was a real opportunity to visit Thailand. BTW yhe thing in the bell is 'the clapper'.

• lacole's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2006 at 8:10 AM

What a wonderful page!!!! I can't wait to go at the end of the year!!!!

• globerover's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2005 at 3:24 PM

A great survey of Northern Thailand - I particularly liked the tips dealing with the hilltribes and the "instructions" for the Thai "Plumpsklo" ... and I noticed you had the same hotel in Chiang Rai that we had ...

Myndo

“Wherever you go, there you are.”

Badges & Stats in Northern Thailand

Have you been to Northern Thailand?