United States of America Local Custom Tips by Myndo
United States of America Local Customs: 257 reviews and 253 photos
A lot of houses in America are not in cities and villages, but located outside and not directly at the roads.
This would make it very difficult for a postman to deliver every letter to the house.
So they have their letterboxes at the main road - far away fom the house.
If there is something in it, these boxes have a "flag" at the side that the postman stands up.
I heard, this can also be used the other way round: if you have something for the postman, you can leave it in there as well.
Malaria: there is none.
Those Vaccinations are advised for everyone:
Diphterie and Tetanus.
In special occasions this vaccination is advised: Hepatitis B (if you get in contact with blood or other body fluids- as for doctors etc.)
West Nile Fever in the USA and Canada:
2004 there have been reported more than 1100 cases. Mostly in Arizona, California and Colorado.
Its a virus that is transferred on humans via Mosquitoes. Often there are no symptoms, if there are symptoms, they resemble the Flu. In seldom cases (less than 1%) it comes to an Encephalitis with possible death.
There exists no specific treatment.
Protect yourself against being bitten by mosquitoes and do not touch any birds (birds are the natural reservoir of the virus).
Wear long clothes and use DEET repellents.
USA has very good hospitals. You can get the medications in the many pharmacies that are around.
More Reviews (53)
Myndo's Related Pages
United States of America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BASAIC's USA Page"
- "A constant work in progress"
- "United States: A Melting Pot"
- "America the Beautiful"
- "Saying Goodbye to the United States of America"
- "THE UNITED STATES"
- "USA - several trips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United States of America
- Hotels in United States of America
- Transportation in United States of America
- Nightlife in United States of America
- Restaurants in United States of America
- Shopping in United States of America
- Warnings and Dangers in United States of America
- See All...
Explore the World
- Malham Tarn Hotels
- Ramsgate Hotels
- Dunshaughlin Hotels
- Beverly Manor Hotels
Badges & Stats in United States of America
- 74 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United States of America
Photos in United States of AmericaSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 48 reviews, 73 photos, 3 travelogues
- United States of America Intro, 55 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kenya Intro, 50 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 46 reviews, 52 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tinos Island Intro, 31 reviews, 60 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Thailand Intro, 43 reviews, 43 photos
- Egypt Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Central & Eastern Thailand Intro, 31 reviews, 35 photos
Top United States of America hotels
- Orlando Hotels
- 3079 Reviews - 5774 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15524 Reviews - 30894 Photos
- Myrtle Beach Hotels
- 319 Reviews - 425 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8346 Reviews - 17012 Photos
- Panama City Beach Hotels
- 193 Reviews - 288 Photos
- Key West Hotels
- 2024 Reviews - 3979 Photos
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9083 Reviews - 19112 Photos
- Honolulu Hotels
- 1987 Reviews - 4711 Photos
- Miami Beach Hotels
- 1031 Reviews - 2075 Photos
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4336 Reviews - 8577 Photos
- Chicago Hotels
- 5834 Reviews - 11868 Photos
- New Orleans Hotels
- 4161 Reviews - 7182 Photos
- Atlanta Hotels
- 1477 Reviews - 2638 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 655 Reviews - 1372 Photos
- Kissimmee Hotels
- 181 Reviews - 351 Photos