"Ngorongoro - Open Air Zoo" Top 5 Page for this destination Ngorongoro by Myndo
Ngorongoro Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 484 photos
Not a crater, but a caldera. This means: the ground of this area broke in due to vulcanic activity. It is the 6th biggest Caldera in the world.
The rim lies on 2280-2440 m.ü.m. (meters over sea level), that is quite high, actually.
This has several effects: No mosquitoes here (too high), also it is several degrees cooler. So cool that you will need a sweater in the evening.
Also the air is more humid, so a lot of trees are growing here and it tends to be misty in the morning. In the crater the weather is always better.
All the accomodations in this Ntl park are located on the rim. The view down is fantastic.
The Park is only 384 km2 small, but a lot of animals stay in the park because the rim is too steep.
Inside this is really a freeland zoo. Lots of animals together.
Here you can find Waterbuck, Oryx, Lion, Cheetah, Hyena, Hunting dogs, Buffalo, Gazelle, Hippopotamus, Zebra, Gnu, Giraffae, Warthogs etc..
What is special here is, that you will see the Maasai looking after their cows right in this "Conservation Area" next to the lions and all...
The picture shows the View from the rim inside the Caldera.
From this high you cannot see the many animals in there, but there are sooo many.
The white patch is a shallow lake.
The crater Ngorongoro actually hosts a lot of birds. There are Flamingoes and Pelicans at the lakes, there are falcons... more travel advice
We made a pause at a nice smaller lake in the Ngorongoro. Having lunch there is quite an experience, because you... more travel advice
Myndo's Related Pages
Ngorongoro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ngorongoro Conservation Area"
- "Ngorongoro Crater - Eighth Wonder of the World?!!"
- "Ngorongoro Crater - oh, oh, oh!"
- "A Garden of Eden?"
- "Ngorongoro - Open Air Zoo"
- "A huge crater"
- "The Ngorongoro Crater"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ngorongoro
- Hotels in Ngorongoro
- Transportation in Ngorongoro
- Restaurants in Ngorongoro
- Warnings and Dangers in Ngorongoro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ngorongoro
- 7 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Ngorongoro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ngorongoro
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 55 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 45 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kenya Intro, 50 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 43 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tinos Island Intro, 28 reviews, 57 photos
- Egypt Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Thailand Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Central & Eastern Thailand Intro, 30 reviews, 34 photos