"Edfu / Idfu - the classical Temple" Top 5 Page for this destination Idfu by Myndo
Idfu Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 365 photos
Edfu is a quite big and impressive temple, one of the newer ones (Ptolomeic times) and very well preserved.
Dedicated to the god Horus it tells of his fight with his uncle Seth who killed his father.
Before you come to the temple, you have to "survive" the walk through a whole street of vendors ...
You do not approach the temple from the front, but from somewhere in the back.
Edfu has the classical structure of a temple:
Pylons right and left of the main entrance.
Behind this a bigger open place with columns left and right.
Then the Entrance to the column hall.
In the back of the Hall is the way to the inner sanctum where the statue of the god was kept.
Interesting in Edfu are the big side walks with the many reliefs.
The Egyptians of the Pharaonic times had a very special and impressive stile when doing some artwork - be it as half... more travel advice
The picture shows the god Horus as a Falcon with the crown of the Pharao for the upper and lower Egypt. All Pharaos got... more travel advice
Myndo's Related Pages
Idfu Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cruise from Luxor to Aswan via Edfu"
- "2 days, 1 night... 5000 years of history!"
- "Edfu, Horus Temple & again the souk"
- "Edfu / Idfu - the classical Temple"
- "Idfu or Edfu to You"
- "Best Preserved Cult Temple in Egypt"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Idfu
- Hotels in Idfu
- Transportation in Idfu
- Shopping in Idfu
- Warnings and Dangers in Idfu
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Idfu
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Idfu?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Idfu
Photos in IdfuSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 55 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 45 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kenya Intro, 50 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 43 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tinos Island Intro, 28 reviews, 57 photos
- Egypt Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Thailand Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Central & Eastern Thailand Intro, 30 reviews, 34 photos