"Abu Simbel - Monument in the desert" Temple of Abu Simbel by Myndo
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide: 267 reviews and 921 photos
Standing in the desert as a warning against emperors from the south, this temple of Ramses II was the most southern outpost of Egypt.
The temple is the only one that is driven into the stone of a hill, all the others are standing free.
The temple is a masterpiece in planning. Exactly twice in a year the sun when it rises shines in the inner sanctum right in the back of the temple. The days are said to be Ramses II birthday and the day he was crowned.
The dates were the 21st February and the 21st october.
Since they relocated the whole temple they managed to keep it at two days, but now it is one day later.
This is a detail of the wall right of the entrance to the Ramses Temple of Abu Simbel. The small figurine on the Side of... more travel advice
Abu Simbel is located south of Aswan on the rim of the Nasser Lake. There are different ways to get there: Most easy... more travel advice
Myndo's Related Pages
Temple of Abu Simbel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Went back to Egypt in May 2005"
- "Abu Simbel Temples"
- "Thank you all, who shared in saving our heritage"
- "Temple of Abu Simbel"
- "The Amazing Temples of Abu Simbel"
- "Abu Simbel--Warning Sign to the Nubian South"
- "Abu Simbel"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Hotels in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Transportation in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Nightlife in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Restaurants in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Shopping in Temple of Abu Simbel
- Warnings and Dangers in Temple of Abu Simbel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Temple of Abu Simbel
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Temple of Abu Simbel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Temple of Abu Simbel
Photos in Temple of Abu SimbelSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- United States of America Intro, 55 reviews, 58 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Basel Intro, 45 reviews, 68 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kenya Intro, 50 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Phuket Intro, 43 reviews, 48 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tinos Island Intro, 28 reviews, 57 photos
- Egypt Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Northern Thailand Intro, 42 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Namibia Intro, 37 reviews, 44 photos, 2 travelogues
- Australia Intro, 36 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Central & Eastern Thailand Intro, 30 reviews, 34 photos