"Nantucket" Nantucket by AcornMan
Nantucket Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 47 photos
I have an aunt and uncle who own a vacation home on Nantucket and visit the island all the time. I'm a little more lukewarm about Nantucket, but considering the dearth of quiet vacation spots in the northeast part of the US, I can certainly understand why people are drawn there.
Nantucket is a relatively small island ringed with lots of sandy beaches. It offers several beaches, all of which had soft sand and were clean. Many of them are also tended by lifeguards, which is very reassuring when you have children with you. The typical beach on Nantucket has parking about 100 yards or so from the water, with a path through the sand to the beach. It can be a bit of a hike to some of the beaches, but nothing horrible unless you're hauling too much stuff. Travel light and you'll be fine. The beaches are very clean, which is remarkable considering how many people flock to them every day.
The interior of Nantucket varies from extremely overcrowded areas packed with vacation homes to more sparsely populated expanses of low vegetation and weather-beaten trees. There can be a lot of traffic on the main roads, but a recently initiated bus system is aimed at curbing that problem a bit. You should be prepared to do a lot of walking and/or bike riding though, because the main town in particular can be unbelievably congested with traffic with no parking anywhere.
The beaches located on the east side of the island are, as you might expect, quite windy with a high surf. That makes them less suitable for small children, but still quite enjoyable. Surfside Beach is a great example. Kids can certainly have a great time playing in the sand there - You just have to be careful about letting them get too close to the water because of the pounding waves. The beaches on the west side of the island are much calmer and have shallow water, which makes them ideal for children. Jetties Beach is a good example. Ironically, Children's Beach isn't much of a beach at all, so much as a tiny strip of sand that almost seems out of place in the crowded main town. The beach at 'Sconset is a bit more remote and secluded than Surfside and Jetties and makes a great spot if you want a little more privacy.
Although admittedly quaint and scenit, the main town is full of overpriced restaurants and shops where people overpay for everything from hamburgers to jewelry. If you go to Nantucket you should definitely not miss a chance to walk around the town, but it can be kind of hard to imagine what it was like 200 years ago with all the traffic and congestion present now. And if you're brave enough to drive your car down the bumpy cobblestone streets, don't even think about trying to find a parking spot. You're much better off getting downtown on foot, bicycle, or the bus system.
- Pros:Nice beaches (with lifeguards)
- Cons:Crowded, expensive, heavy traffic, difficult to find parking
- In a nutshell:If you don't have the time to escape to a more remote or exotic destination, Nantucket can still offer a relaxing, albeit expensive, getaway
AcornMan's Related Pages
Nantucket Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "For those with a ton of money"
- "SueRivet's new Nantucket Page"
- "Best Island in the World"
- "Nantucket - expensive!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nantucket
- Hotels in Nantucket
- Transportation in Nantucket
- Restaurants in Nantucket
- Shopping in Nantucket
- Warnings and Dangers in Nantucket
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nantucket
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Nantucket?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nantucket
Photos in NantucketSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 88 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 63 reviews, 57 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 41 reviews, 34 photos
- Krakow Intro, 33 reviews, 31 photos
- Mexico City 19 reviews, 31 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 26 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naxos Island Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 19 reviews, 16 photos