"Manhattan, Kansas - The Little Apple" Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan by AcornMan
Manhattan Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 219 photos
Long before the first white settlers came, a large Kaw Indian village stood near the mouth of the Big Blue River on the present site of Manhattan. Originally named Boston, the town was settled in 1855 by New England freestaters when their steamship Hartford ran aground near the confluence of the Blue and Kansas Rivers. The name of the town was changed in honor of Manhattan, New York, where some major investors sponsoring the trip lived. Manhattan, Kansas, officially nicknamed "The Little Apple", has evolved into a dynamic and progressive community of nearly 40,000 permanent residents.
The image of Kansas as a monotonous flat, agricultural plain does not apply here. The area is accurately characterized by lush bluestem pastures, expansive lakes, rugged limestone and oak farmsteads, breathtaking vistas, and secluded, oak and cedar wooded valleys. Additionally, the adjoining Konza Prairie Research Natural Area, an 8,616 acre undisturbed tract of land representing the last large preserve of native tallgrass prairie in the United States, is a site of exceptional visual splendor.
It's difficult to pigeon-hole 4 Olives. With its enormous wine list, it is certainly a wine bar as the name advertises.... more travel advice
Aggieville is Manhattan's central shopping, restaurant, and bar district. This is where Kansas State students and locals... more travel advice
AcornMan's Related Pages
Manhattan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Flint Hills...can light my FIRE!"
- "Town in the middle of the US"
- "Manhattan, Kansas - The Little Apple"
- "Purple Pride - Aggies on the Loose!"
- "brdwtchr's new Manhattan Page"
- "NEVER THOUGHT I'D GET HERE"
- "Manhattan- The Little Apple"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manhattan
- Hotels in Manhattan
- Transportation in Manhattan
- Nightlife in Manhattan
- Restaurants in Manhattan
- Shopping in Manhattan
- Warnings and Dangers in Manhattan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manhattan
- 10 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Manhattan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manhattan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 88 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 63 reviews, 57 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 41 reviews, 34 photos
- Krakow Intro, 33 reviews, 31 photos
- Mexico City 19 reviews, 31 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 26 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naxos Island Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 19 reviews, 16 photos