"Warsaw Rising" Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw by AcornMan

Warsaw Travel Guide: 2,959 reviews and 7,133 photos

From August 20-September 4, 2004 I participated in a Habitat for Humanity Global Village trip to Poland to help build a six-unit apartment complex for families who could not otherwise afford decent housing of their own. We spent most of our time (12 days) in Warsaw, but even with the work schedule we still had a chance to see a lot of the city.

Warsaw was much more interesting and fun than I had anticipated. Although much of the city, especially the older parts, was almost completley destroyed during World War II, it has been almost completely rebuilt with an eye toward historical accuracy. A visitor who did not know about Warsaw's tragic past would probably have no idea that most of the historically significant buildings standing today are in most cases no more than 50 years old, and in many cases much younger than that even.

Today Warsaw is a city in transition. While memories of the Nazi occupation and subsequent communist control are still fresh in people's minds, the city is also home to gigantic shopping malls with all the latest products and clothing styles. A broad variety of pubs, clubs, restaurants, and cafes adds to the modern atmoshpere by providing an entertaining nightlife no matter what your tastes.

For westerners Warsaw is still clearly a second or even third-tier destination, but that could easily change if word gets out about everything this city has to offer (and the incredibly good bargains to be had for food, drinks, hotels, and tourist activities). I have to concede I never would have considered a visit to Warsaw if it hadn't been for the Habitat for Humanity trip, but I'm grateful that my eyes have been opened to this wonderful city and I'd love to return someday to visit my new friends there and explore the places I didn't have a chance to see during my first trip.

• Pros:Rich history, lively old town, excellent public transportation, inexpensive, terrific night life, and lots of great parks.
  • Cons:None
  • In a nutshell:Truly one of Europe's best kept secrets
  • Last visit to Warsaw: Sep 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 23, 2005

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2008 at 12:00 AM

Lots of useful tips here

• embi40's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2008 at 11:41 AM

Great page. My 11 yr old and I are going to Warsaw in March and your page/tips helped me out a lot. If nothing else, I feel like I'll know what to do and what to look for when we get there.

• omidamini's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Warsaw , mmmmm , really is very nice VT page , thanks , i hope see you in My country Iran

• CyberCroat's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2007 at 6:08 AM

Habitat fH idea looks like a great help to people in need. Nice of you to travel around and do stuff. Warsaw from your story looks appealing.

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2007 at 4:56 AM

Very great page! Looks that here are a lot to see and maybe someday I will visit this city. Visit Vilnius someday!

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2007 at 8:13 PM

I just checked out some of your stuff for my upcoming trip. Thanks for the tips!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2007 at 4:26 AM

Just sent your pic of workers at Habitat to my son...he's thought about volunteering. Great work and wonderful way to travel. Good job.

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2006 at 7:30 AM

Hi David. I'm going to Warsaw (first time) this Friday and will be staying 3 days. I found your tips & insights really useful... so thanks! Greetings from the desert :) Jess

• Vincedem's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2006 at 5:03 AM

Zywiec and Wyborowa were also my friends when I was in Wawa... Nice page about my favourite town! Greets from Belgium, Vince

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 1:34 PM

I missed the little soldier duriing my visit I was too fascinated by a musical clock = lovely page will be back to see some more

AcornMan

“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.”

Badges & Stats in Warsaw