"Heraklion (or Iraklio)" Heraklion by AcornMan
Heraklion Travel Guide: 301 reviews and 856 photos
Herklion serves as a common arrival and departure point for visitors to Crete via ferry or airplane. It is best known for its archeological museum and the nearby ruins of Knossos. Sadly, aside from those two features and the Venetian fortress guarding the old harbor it has virtually nothing to offer. The waterfront is a busy, crowded, and congested place hemmed in by heavy traffic and the general ugliness of the city, making it hardly worth your while to go there. If you want to see a Venetian fortress there are much better examples in Rethymnon and Frangokastello anyway. I was put off by Heraklion's run down appearance, its congestion, and its overall lack of a pleasant atmosphere.
To make matters worse, reasonably priced accommodations are almost non-existent here, and even food costs more than in many other parts of Crete. If you can avoid going to Heraklion altogether, do. If you must go for some reason, see the archeological museum and Knossos and get out of town as fast as possible, because there are far nicer places on Crete than this.
- Pros:Good archeological museum; Close to Knossos.
- Cons:Ugly, crowded, dirty, expensive.
- In a nutshell:See the museum and Knossos and then GET OUT OF TOWN!!
The archeological museum in Heraklion is widely regarded as the best on the island and one of the best Minoan museums in... more travel advice
Right next to the Bembo Fountain is the Turkish Pump House, which has obviously been renovated to accommodate a cafe... more travel advice
AcornMan's Related Pages
Heraklion Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ocean Village"
- "Heraklion-Irakleio-Chandak-Candia-Megalo Kastro"
- " Crete (Handakas),my ex-homeland "
- "A Great City"
- "KALIMERA KRITI ! GOOD MORNING CRETE !"
- "Heraklion or Hercules city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Heraklion
- Hotels in Heraklion
- Transportation in Heraklion
- Nightlife in Heraklion
- Restaurants in Heraklion
- Shopping in Heraklion
- Warnings and Dangers in Heraklion
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Heraklion
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Heraklion?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heraklion
Photos in HeraklionSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 88 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 63 reviews, 57 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 41 reviews, 34 photos
- Krakow Intro, 33 reviews, 31 photos
- Mexico City 19 reviews, 31 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 26 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naxos Island Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 19 reviews, 16 photos