"Istanbul" Istanbul by AcornMan
Istanbul Travel Guide: 7,930 reviews and 20,597 photos
It never would have even crossed my mind to visit Istanbul until I bumped into an old friend at a wedding whose husband's family is from Turkey. They had visited Istanbul and spent the entire evening telling me stories about how wonderful it is. In hindsight I'm sure one of the major reasons they found it enjoyable was that my friend's husband is fluent in Turkish and already had a working knowledge of the city. It was a bit tougher for us because we didn't have those advantages, but we managed to make a good trip out of it after a somewhat bumpy start (see my tourist trap warning section).
Istanbul is a city with incredibly rich history, amazingly beautiful historical sites, and other very interesting features. One great thing about Istanbul is that it is very inexpensive, especially now that tourism to that part of the world is down quite dramatically. The food was also absolutely terrific (see my restaurant section for specific recommendations).
In addition to what you find on Virtual Tourist I highly recommend that you visit Tom Brosnahan's excellent web site about Turkey, including Istanbul.
- Pros:Lots of beautiful historic sites; Easy to get around on foot or by tram
- Cons:Incredibly annoying, pesky, and pushy salesmen
- In a nutshell:Might take some getting used to, but definitely worth seeing
The Suleymaniye Mosque is the largest mosque in Istanbul and was built between 1550-1557 by Sultan Suleyman I - "Sulyman... more travel advice
Although most modern areas of Istanbul have sit-down public toilets like those you would see all over the world, it is... more travel advice
- Is Istanbul safe?
- See All Alcohol and mosques
- See All Spice Bazaar
- See All Rustem Pasa Mosque
AcornMan's Related Pages
Istanbul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STROLLING THROUGH ISTANBUL"
- "The only city in the world build in 2 continents"
- "Istanbul not/and Constantinople"
- "istanbul tips"
- "My Beloved Istanbul"
- "Beauty, Culture, & History - All In One Place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Istanbul
- Hotels in Istanbul
- Transportation in Istanbul
- Nightlife in Istanbul
- Restaurants in Istanbul
- Shopping in Istanbul
- Warnings and Dangers in Istanbul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Istanbul
- 41 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 55 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Istanbul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Istanbul
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Warsaw Intro, 88 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Crete Island Intro, 63 reviews, 57 photos
- Istanbul Intro, 41 reviews, 34 photos
- Krakow Intro, 33 reviews, 31 photos
- Mexico City 19 reviews, 31 photos
- Santorini Island Intro, 26 reviews, 23 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Naxos Island Intro, 21 reviews, 21 photos
- Paris Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Vienna Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 19 reviews, 16 photos