"Lots to see, not much time to see it" AcornMan's Profile

There's a whole lot of "there" out there. My goal is to see as much of it as possible. I have a long way to go, but it's going to be fun trying.

Habitat for Humanity trip to Mexico (2010)

My sixth and latest Habitat for Humanity Global Village trip (and the fourth one I've led) was to Rincon de Guyabitos Bay, Mexico during Thanksgiving week, 2010.

You can learn more about the Habitat for Humanity Global Village program here.

Habitat for Humanity trip to El Salvador (2008)

My fifth Habitat for Humanity trip (and the third one I have led) was March 15-23, 2008, this time to El Salvador. Our team stayed in Santa Ana and worked at a site not far from the city where Habitat is building an entire community for people in need of decent housing. We had a great time and got a lot done at the work site.

You can learn more about the Habitat for Humanity Global Village program here.

Habitat for Humanity trip to India (Summer, 2007)

My fourth Habitat for Humanity trip (and the second one I led) was to Nagercoil, India, near the far southern city of Kanyakumari, from July 24-August 4, 2007. This was my first trip to India, and it was really interesting to experience a completely different culture. Our team of 14 volunteers worked on six different houses in a rural area near Nagercoil known for its small rubber plantations.

You can learn more about the Habitat for Humanity Global Village program here.

Habitat for Humanity trip to Gdansk, Poland (2006)

I participated in my third Habitat for Humanity trip from July 29-August 12, 2006 when I served as team leader for a 13-person group of volunteers to Gdansk, Poland (the first trip I have led). Previous teams already constructed a 12-unit apartment building, so we built a playground for the kids who live there.

You can learn more about the Habitat for Humanity Global Village program here.

Habitat for Humanity trip to Mexico (2005)

In late November, 2005, during Thanksgiving, I participated in my second Habitat for Humanity trip, this one to a rural area of Mexico about 2 1/2 hours north of Mexico City. My group helped build two new houses for two poor families who could not afford decent housing for themselves. One house is built of red brick, and the other is built of large cinder blocks. They will have concrete floors and roofs when complete.

For more information about Habitat for Humanity's Global Village Program, click here. You can learn all about the program and get details about upcoming trips around the world.

Habitat for Humanity trip to Warsaw, Poland (2004)

In late August and early September 2004 I participated in a Habitat for Humanity Global Village project in Jozefoslaw, Poland, a small town south of Warsaw near Piaseczno. My group helped build an apartment complex for familes who would not otherwise be able to afford decent housing. Details about my trip are in my Warsaw and Krakow travel pages.

You can read about the project I worked on by clicking here. If you would like more information about the Global Village Program generally, click here.

PAST TRIPS

Here's a list of the places I have managed to visit so far. As you can see, I still have a long way to go.

1974: Germany, Switzerland.

1975: Germany, England, Switzerland, The Netherlands, France.

1983: Canada (Kenora, Winnepeg).

1984: Canada (Kenora, Winnepeg).

1985: Canada (Kenora, Winnepeg).

1987: Maine and Monhegan Island.

1988: Australia (Cairns, Brisbaine, Sydney); New Zealand (Aukland, Waitomo, Rotorua); Fiji; Canada (Banff).

1989: Hawaii (Maui).

1991: England (London, Cambridge, Bath, Stonehenge); Scotland (Edinburgh).

1992: Arizona (Grand Canyon, Sedona).

1993: Mexico (Cabo San Lucas).

1995: San Diego; Las Vegas; Mexico (Tijuana).

1997: Mexico (Cozumel).

1998: Barbados.

1999: Boston; Connicticut.

2000: Sweden (Staffanstorp, Lund, Malmo, Tomelilla, Ystad, Kaseberga); Denmark (Copenhagen); France (Paris); Germany (Heidelberg, Gauangelloch); Switzerland (Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg, Jungraujoch, Lauterbrunnen, Murren, Zurich).

2002: Canada (Niagara Falls, Niagara on the Lake).

2003: Greece (Athens, Santorini, Naxos, Aigina); Turkey (Istanbul); Nantucket Island.

2004: Arizona (Phoenix, Tempe, Sedona, Prescott); Poland (Warsaw, Lowicz, Krakow, Auschwitz).

2005: Greece (Crete), Austria (Vienna), Colorado Springs, and Mexico (Mexico City, Actopan).

2006: Chicago, England (Cambridge), Poland (Gdansk, Sopot, Stutthof).

2007: Boston, Colorado (Woodland Park, Boulder, Denver), Qatar (Doha), India (Kovalam, Nagercoil, Kaniyakumari, Madurai).

2008: El Salvador (San Salvador, Santa Ana, Costa del Sol).

2009: Southern California (Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure parks in Anaheim; San Diego).

2010: Mexico (Rincon de Guayabitos Bay); Colorado (Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, Steamboat Springs).

2011: Utah (Moab, Arches Nat'l Park, Canyonlands Nat'l Park, Natural Bridges Nat'l Monument, Goblin Valley State Park, Capitol Reef Nat'l Park, Zion Nat'l Park); Colorado (Great Sand Dunes Nat'l Park, Colorado Nat'l Monument, Rocky Mountain National Park, Pagosa Springs, Mesa Verde); Arizona (Grand Canyon National Park, Antelope Canyon)

• Intro Updated Mar 22, 2012

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
AcornMan's Profile Photo

AcornMan

“If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay at home.”

Real Name