"Falling in Love with a Thousand Sunsets" Scouski's Profile

Travel Novice: On The Move At Last!

In 1997, at the age of nineteen I travelled abroad for the first time, to the United States of America to work as a Volleyball Coach in a summer camp in Burlington, up state New York.

It was, what I would call, a character building experience: certainly an eye opener, it opened my eyes to fact that I should never work with Long Island children ever again. After two and half months imprisoned there, my nightmare ended in August of 1997 I bought my freedom in the form an Amtrak railpass for the East Coast, and made my way from Penn Station NYC all the way down to Key West in Florida, stopping at various destinations along the way.

It was the most liberating experience of my life - never realising just how much I'd been missing out on. But the most emotionally moving part about travelling for me, as i'm sure it is for may others, was the people I met along the way - people I'd made strong connections with because of the circumstances I found myself in. Strange really, because personally I get the most satisfaction out of travelling alone, I look forward to it - and as difficult as it can seem from time to time - its the only way to achieve a real strong sense of character.

Taste of the East

There was a considerable gap between returning from the US and travelling again - but after celebrating my 21st birthday I used the money I had to take a two week trip to Turkey. I had no idea that I'd fall in love with this country, but I did - from the minute I walked off the plane and smelt the hot eastern air, I was mesmorised by its charm from the very beginning. When I think of this trip, even today, the association is one of laughter and friendship. I never kept in touch with the characters I met here, but how vivid they are in my memory.

Gypsy at Heart

Its hard to think back sometimes because I get so nostalgic, but thats what travel is about for me - always searching for the next memory and trying to fit as many in before I get too old to continue.

• Intro Updated Aug 17, 2005

• monpic's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2007 at 8:54 AM

Vikki, Many happy returns!!

• ghibli88's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2007 at 2:56 AM

Happy Birthday to you Vikki,greetings from Sunny Italy.

• mkurtay's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2007 at 1:18 AM

iiiiiiiiiii | H a p p y | __|___________|__ |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| | B i r t h d a y | ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• vpeter's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Happy birthday, have a nice party. Happy travels. Greetings from the Netherlands.

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2007 at 10:07 PM

Happy Birthday to you & have a wonderful day and weekend.:-)

• RUMISABUNCU's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2007 at 6:05 AM

Hi, Vikki Greeting from sunny Antalya/Turkey and thank you for writing about Turkey.

• Fergie01's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2006 at 9:50 AM

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a lovely day...greetings from Ontario Canada - Deana

• bri39504's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2005 at 2:37 AM

vicki, great travel page. That is a funny remark about the long island children. I understand what you mean.

• planxty's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2005 at 6:32 PM

Vikki, great homepage. Birthday greetings from another Londoner (well, transplanted Paddy actually!) Have a great day. fergy.

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
Scouski's Profile Photo

Scouski

“Travel light and don't look back.”

Real Name