"Slovakia; Czechoslovakia's other half" Top 5 Page for this destination Slovakia by hundwalder

Slovakia Travel Guide: 4,186 reviews and 10,798 photos

Discover Slovakia before the tourism gods do.

Slovakia is a fascinating country to visit. It has so much more to offer than it's capital city of Bratislava ( the city most Americans only know as the hometown of SNL's " couple of wild and crazy guys " ). Actually Bratislava does not even make my list of the best places to visit in Slovakia.

Slovakia is yet to become popular with tourists. Slovakia has good roads, and outstanding train and bus service. Trains and buses are laughably cheap. It is a safe and friendly country to visit. Forget the old communist stereotypes. Talk about a good country to visit on a tight travel budget. In Levoca you can buy an excellent four course meal for the price of a small piece of cake in Vienna.

In my travel pages I will lead you through the back door of the emerging beauty called Slovakia.

• Pros:Many things to see and experience. A great place for participation in high adrenaline sports. Spectacular scenery.
  • Cons:Country of choice for summit meetings between egotistical and stubborn heads of state.
  • In a nutshell:The back door stays open. Y'all come in and make yourselves at home.
  • Last visit to Slovakia: Apr 2003
  • Intro Updated Jan 9, 2007

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Some great tips about the castles and medieval features particularly:) well done

• TooTallFinn24's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Drew--- I enjoyed your pages on Slovakia. Some great tips! I even rated one that was great on medieval streets

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2011 at 9:23 PM

great page!

• katamorgana's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2009 at 9:36 AM

I like your information about Tatras :-)

• livi4's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2008 at 6:42 PM

excellent pics & infos on Slovakia

• StuartHearn's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2008 at 3:27 PM

if you pass by my house there is a room I will go to Slovakia very soon You reassured me, even though not much scares me, having driven through and camped in Romania,(dont recommend) and Ukraine

• Dester's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2008 at 4:38 PM

Great pages along with a sound philosophy

• MichaelFalk1969's Profile Photo
    Jan 10, 2008 at 7:02 AM

Great page on Slovakia. You have pointed out all the places I missed last time I was there - good reason to go there a second time (;-).

• starship's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2007 at 4:51 PM

Very interesting information about Slovakia. Enjoyed the historical info. & architecture. I took particular note of your observation about lack of recreational facilities for youth & was curious about this.

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2007 at 11:24 AM

Thanks for the tips. We plan to visit in June.

hundwalder

“The boys are back in town. It's Iditarod time, baby!”

Badges & Stats in Slovakia

Have you been to Slovakia?