"Cliffs and More" County Clare by rexvaughan
County Clare Travel Guide: 705 reviews and 1,894 photos
Probably the most photographed spot in Co Clare is here. They are spectacular at any time and we have had the good fortune to be there on a cloudy, overcast day as well as on a sunny one. Both are great. The views are endless along this 5 mile stretch of cliffs rising out of the sea and sometimes reaching a height of 700 ft. On a clear day you can see the Aran Islands about 10 miles out.
If you are like me you didn't know that Galway Bay is on the north edge of Co Clare. It is another legendary place and even has its own famous song"
"If you ever go across the seas to Ireland
Then maybe at the closing of your day
You will sit and watch the moonrise over Claddagh
And see the sun go down on Galway Bay
To hear again the ripple of the trout stream
The women in the meadows making hay
To sit beside the turf fire in the cabin
And watch the barefoot goosoons at their play
Oh. the breezes blowing o'er the sea from Ireland
Are perfumed by the heather as they blow
And the women in the upland digging praties
Speak a language that the strangers do not know
For the strangers came and tried to teach us their ways
They scorned us just for being what we are
But they might as well go chasing after moonbeams
Or light a penny candle from a star
And if there's going to be a life hereafter
And somehow I am sure there's going to be
I will ask my God to let me make my heaven
In that fair land beyond the Irish Sea"
G. K. Chesterton is reported to have once described the Irish as
"The people God made mad,
All their wars are happy
And all their songs are sad."
There is certainly a melancholy note to "Galway Bay" and more than a little in the history of these wonderful people. However, the Irish people I know, icluding my friend Pat, are some of the most cordial and fun loving anywhere. Pat took the day to show me and my wife around the west coast and even took us to our namesake town, Ballyvaughan, for a bit o' stout.
- Pros:Breathtaking scenery, heart stealing people
- Cons:Public transportation is a bit lacking
- In a nutshell:The Emerald Isle
We had just a breif stop in Lahinch but it looks like a town worth spending some time in. It is a lovely place with lots... more travel advice
For the best views, climb O'Brien's Tower which stands atop the highest point on the cliffs. The tower is not ancient... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
County Clare Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Sweet County Clare"
- "The Cliffs of Moher, the Burren & a lot more !"
- "Cliffs of Moher and Burren"
- "Cliffs of Moher, Bunratty Castle and the Burren"
- "The Cliffs of Moher"
- "Co. Clare..The Burren and the Cliffs of Moher"
- "County Clare"
- See All...
- Things to Do in County Clare
- Hotels in County Clare
- Transportation in County Clare
- Nightlife in County Clare
- Restaurants in County Clare
- Shopping in County Clare
- Warnings and Dangers in County Clare
- See All...
Badges & Stats in County Clare
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to County Clare?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in County Clare
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos
Top County Clare hotels
- Ennis Hotels
- 62 Reviews - 111 Photos
- Doolin Hotels
- 117 Reviews - 231 Photos
- Shannon Hotels
- 73 Reviews - 177 Photos
- Lisdoonvarna Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 14 Photos
- Bunratty Hotels
- 52 Reviews - 216 Photos
- Newmarket on Fergus Hotels
- 2 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Liscannor Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 22 Photos
- Killaloe Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 42 Photos
- Ballyvaughan Hotels
- 29 Reviews - 37 Photos
- Sixmilebridge Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Milltown Malbay Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Lehinch Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 9 Photos
- Kilrush Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 45 Photos
- Kilmaley Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Killinaboy Hotels
- 1 Review - 4 Photos