"Historic Civil War area" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg by rexvaughan
Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 246 photos
Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania County, being about halfway between the Confederate and Union capitals of Richmond and Washington were the sites of some of the bloodiest battles of the civil war. There were literally tens of thousands of casualties on both sides and the sites of the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, the Wilderness and Spotsylvania Court House raged throughout the early 1860’s and are all memorialized today. Civil War buffs could spend an unlimited amount of time visiting the sites, walking the trails through the battlefields and seeing the many statues, etc. Besides its Civil War history, the farm where George Washington lived as a child is nearby and the town features a university named for his mother, Mary – the University of Mary Washington.
I am not a Civil War buff and have visited Fredericksburg only to visit family living nearby and for a weekend VirtualTourist meeting. The town is not large, only about 20,000 residents, but it is a charming place with lots of nice shops and good restaurants. An added bonus is that the street parking in the historic downtown area is free.
Thet gave great coffee and espresso here, including one of my favorites, Dancing Goats. They also have some nice looking... more travel advice
While at the Virginia Wine experience, I asked the helpful young woman there where I could get a quick lunch. Well,... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Fredericksburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Quaint and Charming Fredericksburg, Virginia"
- "Fredericksburg: A Sweet Little Town"
- "Fredericksburg - a Great Meet!"
- "Historic Civil War area"
- "Historic Fredericksburg on the Rappahannock River"
- "Fredericksburg VT meet"
- "Old town Fredericksburg!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fredericksburg
- Hotels in Fredericksburg
- Restaurants in Fredericksburg
- Shopping in Fredericksburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg
- 9 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Fredericksburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fredericksburg
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos