""Oklahoma City is mighty pretty"" Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City by rexvaughan
Oklahoma City Travel Guide: 382 reviews and 734 photos
Street art in the form of cows, bulls and penguins has been popping up all over and in Oklahoma City it is buffalo. Actually they are bison, but everyone calls them buffalo. They are all around the downtown area and the capitol. This one is decorated with the Oklahoma state flower, the gallardia or Indian Blanket. The downtown area is quite lovely and the old warehouse district just east of downtown is now called Bricktown and is quite the center for restaurants and clubs. They have even built a canal with "gondola" rides. Bricktown is the happenin' place in OKC.
It may be strange, but this milkbottle is a historic artifact in OKC. It has been there since about 1930 and recent plans to raze it were thwarted. The store under it was originally an outlet for Townley's Dairy. Now it is a sandwich shop. It is on Classen Blvd at about NW 25th Street. The surrounding area now has a large Asian and Oriental population and is a great place to find such food stores and restaurants. I will do a tip on one of the better restaurants, the Lido.
I didn't make a mistake on this photo. The oil derrick in front of the state capitol is a unique feature of the Oklahoma capitol grounds. Since the oil boom in the early 20th Century, there have been working oil wells on the grouds. You would think that would make the state rich but it hasn't seemed to work that way. Until recently the capitol had no dome due to shortage of funds at construction. Now it looks like a "real capitol." More on this in Must
- Pros:More to see than you think
- Cons:Summer is HOT!
- In a nutshell:Capitol of the Heartland
When I was young, the Skirvin was considered “the place to stay” in Oklahoma City, but I traveled little then and it was... more travel advice
This is a national chain of restaurants but in my opinion some of the best Chinese food around. They call themselves a... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Oklahoma City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City With An Odd Childhood"
- ""Oklahoma City is mighty pretty""
- "Highlights of OKC"
- "The Renaissance City - Oklahoma City"
- "Oklahoma City"
- "National OKC Memorial and Museum"
- "Oklahoma City Looks Oh So Pretty?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oklahoma City
- Hotels in Oklahoma City
- Transportation in Oklahoma City
- Nightlife in Oklahoma City
- Restaurants in Oklahoma City
- Shopping in Oklahoma City
- Warnings and Dangers in Oklahoma City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oklahoma City
- 28 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (53)
Have you been to Oklahoma City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oklahoma City
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 25 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue