"More than just baseball" Top 5 Page for this destination Cooperstown by rexvaughan
Cooperstown Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 192 photos
No doubt Cooperstown is best known in the United States as the home of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and that is, I am sure, the thing that draws most people here. But it is also the home of one of the best known of American authors, James Fenimore Cooper. In fact, the town was part of a parcel of 10,000 acres purchased by the author’s father, Judge William Cooper in 1785. It was originally incorporated as the Village of Otsego which is also the name of the lake upon whose shores it sits, the lake which is the source of the Susquehanna River.
Lake Otsego is a very picturesque lake and surrounded by 10,000 acres of largely undeveloped land owned by the Clark family heirs. The Clarks had half-ownership of the Singer Sewing Machine Company and has lived in Cooperstown since the mid-19th Century. Hour-long boat tours of the lake are available.
I guess what amazed me about the town is the variety of attractions besides the baseball hall of fame. The Glimmerglass Opera is one of the largest summer opera festivals in the country; there is evidently great fishing in the lake (and possible the Susquehanna River); there are several museums; and the town has a brewery (Ommegang) which does nice Belgian-style ales.
The town appears larger that it is, as it has only slightly more than 2000 residents. As American towns go, it is pretty old and there are some really lovely Federal style homes lining the streets. The main street, however, is not as pretty. It is lined with the kinds of shops you would expect – tons of cheap baseball souvenir stores.
- Pros:Small and walkable with lots to see and do
- Cons:Main street is full of tacky shops
Once you are in Cooperstown there is really no need of a car. We left ours parked at the motel our whole stay. Getting... more travel advice
I like most strong and flavorful coffees, even the big chains, but like finding local coffee houses even better.... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Cooperstown Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cooperstown - Or Is It 'Clarksville'?"
- "Cooperstown, NY"
- "Experience a Piece of American History"
- "Cooperstown..Home of Baseball!!!"
- "More than just baseball"
- "Cooperstown. Baseball and More"
- "Cooperstown, New York State"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cooperstown
- Hotels in Cooperstown
- Transportation in Cooperstown
- Restaurants in Cooperstown
- Shopping in Cooperstown
- Warnings and Dangers in Cooperstown
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cooperstown
- 8 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Cooperstown?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cooperstown
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos