"Taos - a beautiful old town" Top 5 Page for this destination Taos by rexvaughan

Taos Travel Guide: 208 reviews and 529 photos

Lovely and old little city

Taos has been in existence in one form or another far longer than the vast majority of US cities. Probably the Tiwa Indians settled in this valley arount 1350, a Coronado expedition arrived here in 1540 and it was colonized by Spain in 1615. The name Taos is believed to have come from the Tewa Indian word Towih which means red willows.
In the photo is the town plaza with a summer concert in progress. It is a lovely square surrounded by shops and restaurants.

Chili peppers everywhere

The plaza is very picturesque and the architecture of the whole town is beautiful and very consistent - I kept feeling that I was actually in Mexico. Chili peppers are profuse not only in the local cuisine, but as items of decor as you can see from the great bunches hanging along the buildings.

Lots of dining options

We met friends in Taos in time to have a drink on the Plaza, enjoy the concert and then find a small but delicious restaurant for dinner. Mexican cuisine dominates the scene, but many places have other and inventive foods on the menu. Here we sampled avacado pie which was delicious and tasted a lot like good key lime pie.

• Pros:Beautiful and relaxing
  • In a nutshell:A lovely place to wander
  • Last visit to Taos: Jun 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 13, 2004

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Just planning a trip to NM later this year :-) Thanks for giving me a flavour of Taos. We plan to spend a few days here and I can see that I'm going to like it!

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Nice tips and pictures. Looks like Taos is well worth a visit. I hope they strain that prickly pear lemonade before serving it.

• mikelisaanna's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2009 at 10:46 PM

We enjoyed our visit to New Mexico years ago, and want to get back there someday. We enjoyed your page.

• Aug 15, 2008 at 12:13 PM

I had never been to Ogilvies in the Plaza. The locals told us don't go. The food was fair and our waitress was rude. We complained to the Manager but he didn't even offer an apology. Shadows has a happy hour from 3-6 with 1/2 price Margaritas/appetizers.

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Our first trip to New Mexico was this year when we traveled to Santa Fe and we loved it!!Someday soon perhaps we'll get to Taos. Prickly pear lemonade, sopapillas with honey..how well I remember these! Nice job, Rex.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2007 at 3:37 PM

UPdate since 04..Apple Tree food looks delicious! Wonderful work! Your restuarant tips are outstanding. The photography is vivid and clear and quite representative. Thanks for an enlightening tour of mystical Taos.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2006 at 4:41 PM

Good presentation of Taos. Been wanting to see it one day and you've been far more complete in your descriptives than I have read before. Many thanks. Hope I get there one day. Love that adobe architecture... and those skies!

• Katmosphere's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2006 at 9:31 AM

Hi Rex, thanks for the great job on your Taos page! I'm looking forward to seeing this area for the VT artists meeting..

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2006 at 8:37 PM

I've never been to this part of the country. Maybe I'll see it one day. Thanks for the great tips.

• kymbanm's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2006 at 8:47 PM

Sopas!!! Ya know, despite living so close, I haven't been to Taos in about a decade :) Now I have to wander that way soon!

rexvaughan

“Travel is fatal to prejudice - Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Taos