"Well, the Blue Grass is green" Top 5 Page for this destination Lexington by rexvaughan
Lexington Travel Guide: 257 reviews and 588 photos
I would not say I was disappointed in the blue grass of Kentucky - indeed it is so lush and green everywhere that it is truly beautiful. However, it does not look at all blue to me - just a verdant shade of green. Our trip was with our 11 year old granddaughter who loves horses and riding and virtually anything to do with equine life. She even enjoys mucking out stables to give you an idea. Of course horses seem to rule in Kentucky, particularly around the Lexington area where you will find one horse farm after another lining virtually every road you take.
The role of horses in Kentucky is hinted at in their tourism slogan, "Unbridled Spirit," and of course there are huge amounts of money associated with the business. Racing and the accompanying betting are big sources of revenue, horses are bought and sold for huge sums and stallions' stud fees can run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. The folks we encountered were well aware of the financial side but all seem to share a real love of the animals as well.
We had only a few days so just hit some of the high spots in Louisville and around Lexington. One interesting thing about Lexington is that they feel it is much nicer than Louisville and I may have detected a bit of envy at the Kentucky Derby being in the latter. Several people pointed out to us that Keenland Track was so much nicer, prettier and better than Churchill Downs. That is certainly true of the grounds around the tracks but I am not sure that the track itself, the grandstands and the infield are that much better or nicer. Both places are very well worth a visit.
This place definitely qualifies as a "hole-in-the-wall" kind of pizza joint but their pizza is really quite tasty. We... more travel advice
Bruster's advertises its product as "real ice cream" and having tasted it, I find it hard to argue with them. We made a... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Lexington Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Horse Capital of Kentucky"
- "Horse Country"
- "Well, the Blue Grass is green"
- "Lexington, KY... Neeeeeighborly"
- "Lexington-My Home in the Bluegrass"
- "Lexington - The Heart of the Bluegrass"
- "Horses and Universities"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lexington
- Hotels in Lexington
- Transportation in Lexington
- Nightlife in Lexington
- Restaurants in Lexington
- Shopping in Lexington
- Warnings and Dangers in Lexington
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lexington
- 11 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Lexington?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lexington
- Posted in Travel Santorini Island Forum "Re: Fira or Oia - Where to stay?"
- Wrote a Review Surprisingly good pizza in Lexington Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Surprisingly good pizza"
- updated a Lexington Travel Page "Well, the Blue Grass is green"
- Commented on one of Krumlovgirl's Lexington travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos