"Big Island - Big Sights" Top 5 Page for this destination Hilo by rexvaughan

Hilo Travel Guide: 250 reviews and 536 photos

I won't have any hotel tips on this page as we spent our time on the Big Island with my brother and sister-in-law in a house they had rented. It was a very nice and spacious place sitting right on the bay. There was no beach as the shore is solid black volcanic rock. It made for nice sprays as the waves crased into it. Each morning it seemed the sunrise was more brilliant than the day before. Fortunately, the days were fairly short in Feb so I didn't have to arise early to get this photo.

Hilo is the second largest city in Hawaii and traces its history back about 1000 years. It was a whaling center then a commercial shipping center then a sugar growing, processing and shipping center. I am not sure what the major industry is now but I suspect tourism is a large factor. It is a delightful and manageable old city.

Brilliant flowers

Even though Hawaii doesn't have anything I would call summer, the plants go through their bloom cycles, probably dictated by the length or shortness of the days. So some things were not blooming or just starting, but there were still incredible flowers all over. One evidence of how lush tropical flowers are here is that the bouquets in the picture cost $5. We figure at home if you could get it the cost would be more like $74.

In addition to bargain flowers, the fruits are not only somewhat exotic to us mainlanders but fresh, sweet and cheap. This is a collection of local stuff including pineapple (of course), green beans (?) papaya, mango, rambutan, bananas (small and called apple bananas for some reason), one of the bouquets of flowers and some wine from a the Volcano Winery.

• Pros:It has a little of everything
  • Cons:Too much to see unless you have a long stay
  • In a nutshell:Lush and tropical
  • Last visit to Hilo: Feb 2005
  • Intro Updated Mar 13, 2005

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2008 at 9:48 AM

Great page and tips! Umauma Falls looks beautiful. I’d like to make it to the Big Island someday.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2006 at 5:46 PM

Tourist trap tip was really funny. Loved Lava tunnel. Smiled about the 10 shirts!! Very informative and well written. I always expect quality when I come to your pages, and you never let me down, Rex!

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2006 at 7:49 AM

Now there's an interesting place I haven't been. Maybe I'll go there one day when I'm over the Hill-o.

• triplehelix's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2006 at 3:00 PM

those orange flowers in your travelogue are called african tulips. they are all over the creation in hilo!

• Mar 9, 2006 at 12:20 PM

I loved your Hilo page! Thank you so much!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2006 at 1:23 PM

Great tips of Hilo, one of my favorite places to visit. Aren't you the lucky one,having family that lives there.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2006 at 8:40 AM

It was time to go back and revisit the 'wet' side of the island through your pages once again!

• madamx's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2005 at 6:47 AM

Hi Rex :o) Kat told me to tell you she sent me here; great tips on Hilo. It looks really beautiful there! We will be going in May, can't wait ~ Helen

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2005 at 1:47 PM

I've always fancied going to Hawaii, but not made it there yet! Looks a lovely spot, and I've always had a fascination for Lava tubes! Nice page.

• TropicGirl77's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2005 at 7:36 PM

Thumbs up on such a fun page Rex!!! I absolutely fell over my self in laughter over your Pinkus Hangus Downus ... Aloha !

rexvaughan

“Travel is fatal to prejudice - Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Hilo