"Splendid St. Simon's Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Simons Island by rexvaughan
Saint Simons Island Travel Guide: 70 reviews and 149 photos
St. Simon's Island is one of the "Golden Isles" off the coast of Georgia and a truly lovely and interesting spot in many ways. It has beautiful wooded areas populated with these incredible live oak trees festooned with Spanish moss which give them a nice but, in the night, a spooky look. There are a couple of good historic sites (Fort Frederica, Bloody Marsh, Christ Church), nice beaches, outstanding golf courses, a wonderful old oceanside hotel and some really great restaurants. At its core it is a peaceful and serene place, but there are tons of people coming to live or visit. I hope it doesn't get overpopulated and over developed.
Almost adjacent to St. Simon's is Sea Island. It is not for the financially faint hearted as the lots here are priced in the $ millions before you even think about building a house on it. It is lovely just to drive through and admire the expensive (and sometimes beautiful homes). The Cloister Resort is here and is the location where the G-8 Conference was held in 2004.
One of the beauties of the island is the wonderful trees, shrubs and flowers that grow here, many of which you will not see further inland or north. This is a bottlebrush bush in the middle median of the main street in the village. There are of course great palm trees, live oaks, oleander as well as more common varieties.
- Pros:Both lovely and historic
- Cons:Too many people
- In a nutshell:Something for everyone
This lovely old (but completely renovated) hotel on the beach orginally opened in the 1930's as a private beach club but... more travel advice
This is an early (1730s) congregation of Anglicans but is a shrine for Methodists as the church was founded by John and... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Saint Simons Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "An Island for All Ages & Types"
- "St. Simons Island"
- "saint simons island georgia"
- "Splendid St. Simon's Island"
- "Lighthouse and Fort Frederica"
- "St Simon's Island"
- "Welcome to St. Simons Island, GA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Simons Island
- Hotels in Saint Simons Island
- Transportation in Saint Simons Island
- Nightlife in Saint Simons Island
- Restaurants in Saint Simons Island
- Shopping in Saint Simons Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Simons Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint Simons Island
- 5 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Saint Simons Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Simons Island
- Posted in Travel New Mexico Forum "Re: Rushed 3 DAY trip to New Mexico"
- Commented on one of Sassy417's Saint Simons Island travel pages
- Wrote a Review Grand old beach club in Saint Simons Island Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fort Frederica"
- updated a Saint Simons Island Travel Page "Splendid St. Simon's Island"
Photos in Saint Simons IslandSee All Photos (8)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos