"Atlanta - full of surprises" Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta by rexvaughan
Atlanta Travel Guide: 1,493 reviews and 2,678 photos
Most people (including myself) do not think of Atlanta as a great center for art and culture. However, in recent years there have been some really significant developments. The High Museum of Art has had some really great exhibits including works from around the world. We even saw Van Gogh's "Starry Night" there. They are currently undergoing a $140 million expansion so things will be even better. Also, the Atlanta Botanical Gardens is having an exhibit of works by Dale Chihuly the glass artist from Seattle. The picture here is some of his work in the Garden with the Atlanta skyline in the background. I will add more on the Garden and do a Travelogue.
I actually live in Decatur just on the east side of Atlanta and have separate pages on Decatur on some sights, shopping and great restaurants. The restaurants I have listed are generally individually owned and operated and not on most tourist sites and you will encounter mostly local folks eating there. The link to my Decatur page is below. (Thanks to Geoff Wright for helping me get the link working - those Brits are so clever!)
Any visit to Atlanta should include a visit to the Martin Luther King Center and Ebenezer Baptist Church. They are side by side and most moving exhibitions on the American civil rights movement and on the life of Dr. King. Just down the street from the Center and Church is the house where he was born.
The Atlanta Braves really became "America's Team" because of Ted Turner's Superstation. They have a following all over the US. This photo was taken recently at a Braves/New York Mets game. Even if you are not a fan you should go to a game. The stadium was built for the 1996 Olympics and then reconfigured for the Braves. It is called Turner Field, but locals sometimes refer to it as "The Ted." The Braves can't seem to win many World Series, but have won their division every year since the MIRACLE YEAR of 1991.
- Pros:A great past and a lovely present
- Cons:Traffic is horrendous
- In a nutshell:Old and New South meet here
The fact that it is April in Atlanta and I am enjoying once again its magnificent color made me think that I need to... more travel advice
This is one of those places that seem to be a success from the moment they open their doors. It popularity is attested... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Atlanta Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Monuments"
- "Big city livin in the South"
- "Atlanta & Coca Cola"
- "atlanta georgia"
- "Atlanta - full of surprises"
- "Capital of the South"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Atlanta
- Hotels in Atlanta
- Transportation in Atlanta
- Nightlife in Atlanta
- Restaurants in Atlanta
- Shopping in Atlanta
- Warnings and Dangers in Atlanta
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Atlanta
- 29 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 109 Forum posts
- 29 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Atlanta?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atlanta
Photos in AtlantaSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos