"Bat Masterson kept order here" Trinidad by rexvaughan

Trinidad Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 28 photos

Trinidad is an interesting old town of about 10,000 people. It started as a trading post on the Santa Fe Trail and later grew into a ranching hub, railroad town and coal mining center. One of the colorful characters from their past was the town marshal in the 1880’s, Bat Masterson. It is a good base for exploring the interesting Sangre de Cristos mountains nearby and has a number of museums which we were not able to visit. It is a chaming town with lots of lovely architecture, but they have a big sign, TRINIDAD, on top of the huge sandstone butte called Simpson’s Rest. I think the sign is tacky and made more so by being lighted at night.

I didn’t know until our visit that it was also a coal mining center but as you stroll the pleasant main street there are a couple of wonderful reminders; a monument to the miners and a huge cage statue with a large canary in it.

• Last visit to Trinidad: Jul 2012
  • Intro Updated May 2, 2013

• starship's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Nice little page! I really think little towns like these are the fabric of America! Lovely hotel and restaurants. I really like the Bird Cage statue/memorial!!

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo
      May 27, 2013 at 5:24 PM

It is an interesting area and I had never heard of most of what we saw. Thanks for visiting my page.

rexvaughan

“Travel is fatal to prejudice - Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Trinidad

Have you been to Trinidad?