"Bat Masterson kept order here" Trinidad by rexvaughan
Trinidad Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 28 photos
Trinidad is an interesting old town of about 10,000 people. It started as a trading post on the Santa Fe Trail and later grew into a ranching hub, railroad town and coal mining center. One of the colorful characters from their past was the town marshal in the 1880’s, Bat Masterson. It is a good base for exploring the interesting Sangre de Cristos mountains nearby and has a number of museums which we were not able to visit. It is a chaming town with lots of lovely architecture, but they have a big sign, TRINIDAD, on top of the huge sandstone butte called Simpson’s Rest. I think the sign is tacky and made more so by being lighted at night.
I didn’t know until our visit that it was also a coal mining center but as you stroll the pleasant main street there are a couple of wonderful reminders; a monument to the miners and a huge cage statue with a large canary in it.
The drive of about 60 miles between Cuchara and Trinidad on Colorado highway 12 is a spectacular one through the Sangre... more travel advice
We met friends in Trinidad and they had made dinner reservations at Rino’s, which seems to be a local institution housed... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Trinidad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Trinidad Page"
- "Stop here for the wonderful Rino's restaurant!!"
- "Bat Masterson kept order here"
- "Trinidad, Colorado"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trinidad
- Hotels in Trinidad
- Transportation in Trinidad
- Restaurants in Trinidad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trinidad
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Trinidad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trinidad
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 92 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 25 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue