"At the bend of the Danube" Top 5 Page for this destination Szentendre by rexvaughan
Szentendre Travel Guide: 221 reviews and 604 photos
Szentendre is one of the oldest settlements along the bend of the Danube and dates its origins to Roman times when it was an important fortification guarding the river. In the middle ages thanks to St. Stephen (who else?) it became an ecclesiastical center as seat of the archdeacon and the town priest was vice chancellor to the queen. In the late 12th C it was named to honor Saint Andrew (Sanctus Andreas) which gives us the present name.
Today the town's industry probably still includes trade and viniculture but I would guess the main one is tourism. It is a beautiful place with lots of museums and shops and tons of tourists. The cross in the photo dates from the mid 18th C and, like so many others, was erected in gratitude by those who survived the plague.
Szentendre is an artsy kind of place and you can see why painters in particular would be attracted here by the lovely curve of the river and the closely clustered baroque houses, narrow streets and tile roofs.
- Pros:Lovely town, easy access from Budapest
- In a nutshell:The Pearl of the Danube Bend
This tip could apply to almost anywhere you visit. I always enjoy walking through cities and seeing where people live... more travel advice
Getting to Szentendre from Budapest is a snap. Just go to the Batthyany ter metro and take the HEV train. It is well... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Szentendre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Serbs, Schlock, and Sacred Art in Szentendre"
- "A Great day trip from Budapest"
- "At the bend of the Danube"
- "THE CHARMING VILLAGE OF SZENTENDRE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Szentendre
- Hotels in Szentendre
- Transportation in Szentendre
- Nightlife in Szentendre
- Restaurants in Szentendre
- Shopping in Szentendre
- Warnings and Dangers in Szentendre
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Szentendre
- 7 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Szentendre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Szentendre
- Posted in Travel Oklahoma City Forum "Re: I'm Looking for a Lookout..."
- Commented on one of nicolaitan's Szentendre travel pages
- Wrote a Review Gardeners are everywhere in Szentendre Local Customs
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gardeners are everywhere"
- updated a Szentendre Travel Page "At the bend of the Danube"
Photos in SzentendreSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 92 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 25 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue