"The Sooner State" Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma by rexvaughan
Oklahoma Travel Guide: 1,438 reviews and 2,847 photos
Oklahoma is my home state - I was born, raised, educated and married here so I will always be an "Okie".
The history of the state is a strange one. Before the great Land Run of 1889 the entire state was Native American reservations - they kept being pushed off land the white folks wanted and promised that was it, but it never was. Oklahoma has the largest Native American population of any state and, to its credit, made efforts to affirm that and reclaim their history and culture. The recently completed Capitol dome in Oklahoma City is topped by a Native American figure called "The Guardian" done by a Seminole artist.
Another strange twist is that the original state capitol was in Guthrie but the state seal was stolen in the dark of night and taken to Oklahoma City.
The name "Sooner" is a source of pride to a great many Oklahomans but was actually born of underhanded dealings. The land rush was to begin April 22, 1889 but some folks snuck in early to stake their claims. They were known as "Sooners."
I mentioned elsewhere that there are more Native Americans in Oklahoma than any other state and that in the past 20 - 30... more travel advice
This is a good basic American motel type facility. It is only a couple of years old, so is bright, clean and cheerful.... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Oklahoma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Oklahoma - Mountains, Prairies, Forests & Streams"
- "Cruising Oklahoma"
- "The Sooner State"
- "WFTR's new Oklahoma Page"
- "Oklahoma City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oklahoma
- Hotels in Oklahoma
- Transportation in Oklahoma
- Nightlife in Oklahoma
- Restaurants in Oklahoma
- Shopping in Oklahoma
- Warnings and Dangers in Oklahoma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Oklahoma
- 42 Reviews
- 93 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Oklahoma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oklahoma
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos