"Relax in Beauty" Hallstatt by rexvaughan
Hallstatt Travel Guide: 213 reviews and 680 photos
When you disembark from the train and take the ferry across the lake to Hallstatt it looks like you are sailing into one magnificent picture postcard. This little city predates Rome due to the salt mining here which goes back to 600-800 BCE. You can probably walk through the town in 15 minutes and traverse most of the side streets in 30 but it is truly a wonderful and relaxing place.
We enjoyed just walking through the town and taking in a little local color. I thought the shopkeeper in the pictured store was rather ingenious. His wood is cut for the winter, but serves as a display stand for his wares in the warm months.
I read somewhere on VT that this restaurant is now a pizza place. Wonder why the Amigos didn't make it. Maybe the sign explains it all. Anyway, it was good for a hearty laugh.
- Pros:Smashing scenery and history
- In a nutshell:Tiny town, packed with stuff
This is not about a specific place; it is just a recommendation that you wander around the town (this works anywhere)... more travel advice
The train to Hallstatt stops across the lake from the town but you can catch the ferry for about 2 Euros. I think it... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Hallstatt Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Hallstatt . . . my inspiration"
- "Heavenly Hallstatt......."
- "Hallstatt...it’s paradise!"
- "Beautiful Hallstatt"
- "Historical, magical, beautiful"
- "Hallstatt a great place to spend your time!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hallstatt
- Hotels in Hallstatt
- Transportation in Hallstatt
- Nightlife in Hallstatt
- Restaurants in Hallstatt
- Shopping in Hallstatt
- Warnings and Dangers in Hallstatt
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hallstatt
- 5 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Hallstatt?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hallstatt
Photos in HallstattSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos
Latest Hallstatt hotel reviews
- Gasthof Simony
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 26, 2013
- Gasthof Zauner
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 14, 2013
- Gasthof Hirlatz
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 10, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Pension Hallberg
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 18, 2013
- Seehotel Gruner Baum
- 105 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 16, 2013