"The Hills are Alive" Salzburg by rexvaughan
Salzburg Travel Guide: 2,577 reviews and 5,913 photos
This is one of my favorite photos of Salszburg. We took several walks along the Salzach River and this sunset was even more beautiful than the photo shows.
This old city avoided being severly damaged by war for many centuries, thanks largely to Hohensalzburg built in 1077 and expanded in the 15th-16th Century. It is still the largest fully preserved fortress in central Europe. It is a great sight from down below and is certainly worth a trip up to explore.
This square is the heart of old Salzburg and is a great place to have a drink in the evening and listen to the wonderful music. There was an orchestra playing on the patio of one of the hotels. The pink church overlooking the square is St. Michael's which dates from the 9th Century. We wandered around behind the square and heard a touring choir singing in the stone courtyards. Even though they were not local, they added a very nice atmosphere in this great city of great music.
- Pros:Scenery and history at every turn
- In a nutshell:Much more than the Sound of Music
This place is worth a visit just for the square and the fountain. The inside is a series of ornately decorated rooms and... more travel advice
The deep and wonderful respect for the deceased in European cities sometimes amazes me. This is one of many I have... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Salzburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mozarts Music and Mozart's Kugeln & Nockerl"
- "The Hidden Wonders of Salzburg - A MUST SEE!"
- "One order of Salzburg, please . . ."
- "Fairyland for Real......"
- "SALZBURG - A CITY I LOVED!"
- "Salzburg and the central Austria lake region."
- "Mozart Music and More"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salzburg
- Hotels in Salzburg
- Transportation in Salzburg
- Nightlife in Salzburg
- Restaurants in Salzburg
- Shopping in Salzburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Salzburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salzburg
- 9 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Salzburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salzburg
- Posted in Travel Santorini Island Forum "Re: Fira or Oia - Where to stay?"
- Commented on one of travelfrosch's Salzburg travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beer under the trees"
- updated a Salzburg Travel Page "The Hills are Alive"
- Wrote a Review Go for Baroque about Residenz and Residenzplatz in Salzburg Things to Do
Photos in SalzburgSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos