"A Great (Mis) Adventure" Lochgoilhead by rexvaughan

Lochgoilhead Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 9 photos

Not all good things get off to a good start

Some adventures are blessed from the start and others are just one silly thing after another. This one falls into the latter category. Our friends in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, with whom we were staying, decided that we should do an overnight foray into Scotland. I doubt that few people outside Scotland have even heard of our destination - Loch Goil and the town at the head of it appropriately named Lochgoilhead (those Scots are so clever). I couldn’t even get VT to put it in Scotland, just UK. Our friend young Jonathan had had a dental treatment the day before and spent much of the trip in pain, but so stoically we didn’t even realize it. Then a short way from our destination he discovered I had never driven a right hand drive car (on the ‘wrong’ side of the road). He insisted I must give it a go, so here we went - for about 1/4 mile where I met an oncoming car, moved as far left as I could and hit a stone curbing which blew out the tire (tyre). So, Jonathan ‘s tooth hurting and my pride in pain we got out to change the tire - in the rain of course. The next morning my wife and Jonathan’s mother, Pam, got into the act. Before either of them had their eyes well open or their glasses on, Pam knocked and said she had forgotten her shampoo. My wife said, “No problem” and handed her a small bottle. Later at breakfast Pam asked if we thought her hair was unusually shiny. We thought that an extremely odd question until she explained that my wife had given her a bottle of hand lotion instead of shampoo. Fortunately we all had several good laughs (except maybe Jonathan) and the rest of the trip was marvelous. Even Jonathan got better after a few doses of medication - antibiotics and whiskey!

Lovely and quiet

Loch Goil is actually a branch of Loch Long which is a sea loch, meaning the south end of it is at the sea. I never knew the term ‘sea loch’ before this trip and my research afterward. At any rate, Loch Goil is little known but a beautiful, serene, quiet and relatively untouristy place. I say relatively because there are some small resorts and a golf course around the loch which probably means most of the tourists are British. The surrounding countryside is lovely and there are lots of wild animals and flora. We even saw a deer that Pam had been hoping we would spot (I can’t remember what kind it was). I saw lots of foxglove in bloom and commented on them to Pam who said they were regarded as weeds and no one would put them in a garden like I do. (I later found some in her neighbor’s garden in Newcastle). You can see some of the lovely gorse and rhododendrons in the photos.

This somewhat remote little village with its ‘unknown’ loch is a beautiful and relaxing spot but it is not so remote that you can’t find a nice hotel and really good restaurant. We stayed in a small hotel right on the loch which gave us great views as well as a wonderful breakfast.

• In a nutshell:Beautiful scenery and relatively undiscovered
  • Last visit to Lochgoilhead: Jun 1994
  • Intro Updated Jun 10, 2006

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2007 at 6:50 PM

I hate to smile at other people's misfortunes, but I'm still smiling after reading your delightful introduction. What else could do wrong? Great memories, though. Excellent storytelling, Rex.

rexvaughan

“Travel is fatal to prejudice - Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Lochgoilhead

Have you been to Lochgoilhead?

Latest Activity in Lochgoilhead