"Delightful Portsmouth" Top 5 Page for this destination Portsmouth by rexvaughan
Portsmouth Travel Guide: 292 reviews and 701 photos
We thought Portsmouth would be interesting but were not prepared for what a delightful city it is. With its rich maritime history and great sights, its beautiful parks, its very friendly and helpful people and bustling atmosphere, we had a marvelous visit and wished we had more time.
It is a smallish city with only about 200,000 people (over 400,000 in the greater area) but is a most appealing place to visit. As with most places one visits in Europe it seems there have been folks who settled or conquered it around 2000 years ago. Although Portsmount was not chartered until late in the 12th Century there appear to have been settlements in the area even before the Roman era.
We were also struck by the size and beauty of some of the parks, particularly along the shore north of the central city. It is nice to see such open spaces preserved rather than given over to offices, condominiums, etc.
The military and maritime history and traditions are well preserved in the historic docklands where you can see the HMS Warrior, HMS Victory and the recently recovered remains to the Mary Rose, Henry VIII's flagship. Also, Portsmouth was the launching pad for the Normandy invasion in WWII and this is well and beautifully documented in the small but excellent D-Day Museum. Near the docklands is the HMS Warrior, the first iron-clad. I got the photo from the top of Spinnaker Tower.
- Pros:Lively, compact and rich in history
- In a nutshell:Historic and delightful at the same time
This place is a nice enough pub but gets mixed reviews from us. It was a convenient location, just down the street from... more travel advice
Portsmouth's bus system seems to be pretty good and inexpensive at least compared to taxis. We were able to take one... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Portsmouth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Delightful Portsmouth"
- "O Mighty Town"
- "Discovering my new home town bit by bit"
- "Trafalga 200 - World Naval Fleet Review"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Portsmouth
- Hotels in Portsmouth
- Transportation in Portsmouth
- Nightlife in Portsmouth
- Restaurants in Portsmouth
- Shopping in Portsmouth
- Warnings and Dangers in Portsmouth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Portsmouth
- 14 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Portsmouth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portsmouth
Photos in PortsmouthSee All Photos (46)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 25 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue