"Charming home of James Herriott" Thirsk by rexvaughan
Thirsk Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 60 photos
Much about Thirsk makes you think it could well have been one of the villages James Herriott drove through in the TV series All Creatures Great and Small. Well I don’t think you ever saw it there but it is indeed the home of the real Herriott whose actual name was Alf Wight. This is an old market town with an old cobbled square in the center of town with a picturesque old clock tower in its midst.
Being a town of less than 10,000 residents it still looks and feels what it is, a small Yorkshire village. You can stroll from the Clock Tower down Kirkgate Street past the Herriott Center, the early 18th century home of the Lords of the Manor and the 15th century church where the real Herriott and his wife were married.
The market square is still the focus of business and I suspect social life as it is ringed with pubs, cafes, bakeries and bookshops. Quite a few old pubs still ring the market place and several more are on the periphery. This preserves the old feeling of the place but of course there are some signs of the encroachment of the modern as well. We had a drink at one, the Aspire which is very modern. Another, the Three Tuns, is now a Weatherspoon’s facility so I avoided it entirely. Some serve excellent meals and we ate at a couple which I detail in my restaurant tips. There is still a market here on Mondays and Saturdays and it evidently thrives even today.
- Pros:Still has the feel of an old village
In search of an afternoon drink, we wandered into the Aspire Pub. When I approached the bar to order a gin and tonic for... more travel advice
I realized while visiting Thirsk to see the Herriot Center that James Herriot and his wonderful writings and subsequent... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Thirsk Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Thirsk..James Herriot country."
- "Home of Herriot"
- "Charming home of James Herriott"
- "Thirsk - All creatures great and small"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thirsk
- Hotels in Thirsk
- Transportation in Thirsk
- Restaurants in Thirsk
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thirsk
- 8 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Thirsk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thirsk
Photos in ThirskSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos