"The entire city is a national monument" Top 5 Page for this destination Toledo by rexvaughan
Toledo Travel Guide: 680 reviews and 1,806 photos
Toledo is an old and historic city with roots going back about 2500 years and includes episodes involving early Jewish colonists, Visigoths, Romans, Moors and tons of church prelates, synods and such. The city itself is also a UNESCO World Heritage Site and the Spanish government has designated it so that no modern exteriors are permitted to preserve its wonderful character. It is also a relatively small and immensely enjoyable city. It has wonderful old city gates, a variety of interesting museums, excellent transportation options, a great little market square for food, drinks, snacks and all the people watching you can want.
The city is very hilly and the maze of little twisting, narrow streets are an excellent chance to get lost. It took me less than an hour and a half to get lost and I was on a pretty wide busy street. However, I soon got my bearings and found that the easiest way into the old city from where we were staying is up a 6 story open escalator system which takes care of the steepest climb (did I mention that the city is hilly?) and then an easy stroll to the center. In one of the synagogue museums I found a 3 dimensional model of the city that is both attractive and shows its location at the top of the hill in the bend of the Tejo River. You can even see the old city wall outlined in it.
Even though we found the Alcazar closed for renovation, the exterior of the building is still one of the eye-catching features, along with the Cathedral, of the city as you approach from almost any direction.. Most of what you want to see is a very short walk from the apparent heart of the city, Plaza de Zocodover. We found this to be the best place to begin any foray as well as the best place to stop for coffee, beer, wine or lunch. Oh yes, there is also a gelato shop here - most important for any tourist. The square also is a hub of local activity so you can sit and enjoy watching both the tourists and the locals. It appears to be a very popular meeting place for young men and women so there is always a lot of activity.
- Pros:Beautiful and compact
- Cons:Did I mention the hills?
- In a nutshell:A joy to see and enjoy
From what I have seen in the past, train service from Madrid's Atocha Station and Toledo has gotten a good bit faster... more travel advice
While not geographically the center, Plaza Zocodover is clearly the heart of the city. Here you see locals meeting, tour... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Toledo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Time in a bubble"
- "The entire city is a national monument"
- "Keeweechic's Toledo"
- "The Three Cultures City"
- "Golden Toledo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Toledo
- Hotels in Toledo
- Transportation in Toledo
- Nightlife in Toledo
- Restaurants in Toledo
- Shopping in Toledo
- Warnings and Dangers in Toledo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Toledo
- 18 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 10 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (43)
Have you been to Toledo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Toledo
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Favourite Trip of the Year?"
- Commented on one of Jefie's Toledo travel pages
- Wrote a Review Train between Madrid and Toledo in Toledo Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Go to the heart of Toledo"
- updated a Toledo Travel Page "The entire city is a national monument"
Photos in ToledoSee All Photos (52)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 25 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 20 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue