"Sometimes overlooked beautiful corner of France" Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace by rexvaughan
Alsace Travel Guide: 2,015 reviews and 6,385 photos
For me, Alsace has just about everything a traveler could want. The Wine Road is centered in Colmar and stretches through myriad lovely villages each with its own display of colorful cross-timbered architecture. The cuisine is somewhat unique as it tends to blend some of the best of French and German. The capital, Strasbourg, is a major European center housing both the European Parliament and the European Court of Justice and is peppered with picturesque canals and architecture and features a world-class cathedral. Colmar, if anything, may be even more picturesque with myriad canals, colorful architecture and the wonderful Unterlinden Museum. To top it all off, the locals here seem to all be friendly and helpful.
We have visited Alsace twice and both trips were at least partly inspired by a friend in our town, a delightful young Alsatian woman who owns an Alsatian restaurant called, appropriately enough, Café Alsace which is our favorite place for dinner, lunch or Sunday brunch.
On our first trip to Alsace, we stayed at a small hotel in Colmar and the second trip we stayed in the B’nB/Gite of a friend in the small town of Marckolsheim. We certainly enjoyed the cities of Colmar and Strasbourg, but also loved the small villages that dot the landscape and explored a few of those on the Route du Vin. Our plan for the Wine Road was pretty general, which allowed us to spend more time than planned in the small village (population about 600) of Hunawihr. We stopped for a sample of the Gewurztraminer, but had been drawn to the town by the picturesque church dominating the vineyard landscape. It turned out to be a small but magnificent 16th Century fortified church with an archway wall plaque displaying the history of the church. We also discovered a small but lovely butterfly center and a Stork Reintroduction Center where the almost depleted stork population is being brought back to life. Very important to folks here as the stork is a primary symbol of Alsace. Our brief stop turned into a half day exploration of Hunawihr.
- Pros:Great variety of things to enjoy
- In a nutshell:Lush vineyards, lovely villages, great art
St. Martin Church is sometimes called a cathedral, but it is not as Colmar has never been the seat of a bishopric.... more travel advice
Among many other unique characteristics of Alsace is its wine. I think it is the only wine region in France which names... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Alsace Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sometimes overlooked beautiful corner of France"
- "CHRISTMAS MARKETS - MARCHES DE NOEL."
- "Alsace - beautiful scenery, full of history"
- "Hartmannsweilerkopf / Vieil Armand"
- "the storks are back!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alsace
- Hotels in Alsace
- Transportation in Alsace
- Nightlife in Alsace
- Restaurants in Alsace
- Shopping in Alsace
- Warnings and Dangers in Alsace
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alsace
- 32 Reviews
- 71 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Alsace?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alsace
- Posted in Travel London Forum "Re: 3 weeks itinerary help please!"
- Commented on one of rexvaughan's Alsace travel pages
- updated a Alsace Travel Page "Sometimes overlooked beautiful corner of France"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sometimes overlooked beautiful corner of France"
- Wrote a Review St. Martin Church in Alsace Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 21 reviews, 58 photos, 1 travelogue
- Trieste Intro, 17 reviews, 53 photos