"Lake, mountains, wonderful food" Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Como by rexvaughan
Lago di Como Travel Guide: 208 reviews and 594 photos
This little lake has got to be one of the most picturesque places on earth! The lake itself is exquisitely lovely and looking north you can see the foothills of the Alps and almost into Switzerland. The town of Varenna where we stayed is amazing. It has a population of about 800 so the pace is very relaxed. There are no big museums or cathedrals or castles, but there is a lovely harbor, a romantic passerella and some of the best food in Italy.
I suppose you could drive around the lake, but why? It is only a few miles across (about 5) and there is excellent ferry service to most anywhere you would want to go. You could easily confine yourself to Varenna, Bellagio and Menaggio and have the time of your life by foot and boat. We certainly did.
Be sure to take plenty of film or a large capacity card for your digital as there are "Kodak moments" everywhere you turn. This is the little village of Varenna where we stayed. It is almost worth the ferry ride just to get this kind of view of the towns, not to mention the mountains and gardens.
Bellagio is a more sizeable town than Varenna, but I was surprised to find a magnificent 11th-12th century basilica... more travel advice
This lakeside promenade provides a relaxing and romantic stroll with views of the lake, some colorful homes and several... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Lago di Como Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lago di Como"
- "Lago di Como"
- "LAKE COMO - 30 miles of magic"
- "Lake, mountains, wonderful food"
- "Our first visit to Lago di Como"
- "JUST A PARADISE"
- "Lake Como"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lago di Como
- Hotels in Lago di Como
- Transportation in Lago di Como
- Restaurants in Lago di Como
- Shopping in Lago di Como
- Warnings and Dangers in Lago di Como
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lago di Como
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Lago di Como?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago di Como
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Facebook Alternative......."
- Commented on one of nomad7890's Lago di Como travel pages
- Wrote a Review Basilica of St. James Bellagio in Lago di Como Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Basilica of St. James Bellagio"
- created a Lago di Como Travel Page "Lake, mountains, wonderful food"
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 92 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 25 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue