"Tiny town but big ambience" Top 5 Page for this destination Manarola by rexvaughan

Manarola Travel Guide: 185 reviews and 518 photos

I had asked the very cordial and hard working Laura at our hotel on Lake Como if I could telephone the Cinque Terre to make a reservation in Vernazza based on Rick Steves' recommendation. She called about 10 places before she found one available and it was in Manarola. We could not have asked for a more beautiful or pleasant town so luck had smiled on us. As you can see the town is a tumble of colorful houses hanging onto the side of the mountain.

Manarola is (north to south) the fourth of the five villages making up the Cinque Terre. There is a stone walkway, the Via del' Amore, which links the five, about 10 miles from 1 to 5.

We were dazzled by the huge bougainvillas we saw all around these parts. Back home we have to nurse and overwinter them inside to get modest sized ones. Here they climb above the second story!

This little old church was just around the corner from our room at Casa Capellini. The town topography is so steep that there are very few flat places in it. The church has a little stone plaza and each evening a group of 8-11 year old boys made it their soccer pitch.

The church also had a small bell tower which sounded the hour. My wife said she heard it each morning at 6:00 and 7:00. Rather than an interruption we found it added to the small town atmosphere.

• Pros:Lovely setting with beautiful views
  • Cons:Steep climbs
  • In a nutshell:Idyllic spot on the Ligurian Sea
  • Last visit to Manarola: Jun 1996
  • Intro Updated Mar 22, 2005

• sirgaw's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Great page and tips on my pet town of the 5 along the CQ - loved your tip on the cemetery and we thought the locals are buried as they have lived - high rise

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2009 at 2:20 PM

We hope to get top this area some day but in the meantime, thank you for the tour. Great comments and pictures to show off the ambience

• craic's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2009 at 8:00 PM

such a lovely place - i must go back

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2005 at 7:41 PM

Ah yes, Cinque Terre, what's not to like! I was actually there when they were doing the mosaics and spoke to the Spanish artist.

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Jun 19, 2005 at 5:51 PM

wow, we had very similar thoughts about this town and our pictures are close too. I love manarola, next time stay with andrea.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2005 at 11:13 AM

Majestic scenery in Manarola. I was fascinated by your tip about the cemetery. Although I was in Manarola, I did not see that. Thanks for such a well done page on this lovely area.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2005 at 2:04 PM

It is such a magical place isn't it!

rexvaughan

“Travel is fatal to prejudice - Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Manarola

Have you been to Manarola?

Latest Activity in Manarola