"Tiny town but big ambience" Top 5 Page for this destination Manarola by rexvaughan
Manarola Travel Guide: 184 reviews and 513 photos
I had asked the very cordial and hard working Laura at our hotel on Lake Como if I could telephone the Cinque Terre to make a reservation in Vernazza based on Rick Steves' recommendation. She called about 10 places before she found one available and it was in Manarola. We could not have asked for a more beautiful or pleasant town so luck had smiled on us. As you can see the town is a tumble of colorful houses hanging onto the side of the mountain.
Manarola is (north to south) the fourth of the five villages making up the Cinque Terre. There is a stone walkway, the Via del' Amore, which links the five, about 10 miles from 1 to 5.
We were dazzled by the huge bougainvillas we saw all around these parts. Back home we have to nurse and overwinter them inside to get modest sized ones. Here they climb above the second story!
This little old church was just around the corner from our room at Casa Capellini. The town topography is so steep that there are very few flat places in it. The church has a little stone plaza and each evening a group of 8-11 year old boys made it their soccer pitch.
The church also had a small bell tower which sounded the hour. My wife said she heard it each morning at 6:00 and 7:00. Rather than an interruption we found it added to the small town atmosphere.
- Pros:Lovely setting with beautiful views
- Cons:Steep climbs
- In a nutshell:Idyllic spot on the Ligurian Sea
This photo shows one of probably a dying breed of toilet facilities. I call them squatty potties for obvious reasons. I... more travel advice
The trail connecting the 5 villages is a pictureque walk along the coast and elevated enough to give spectacular views... more travel advice
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Manarola Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Manarola cinque terre"
- "The Cinque Terra"
- "Manarola - on the Cinque Terre"
- "Tiny town but big ambience"
- "A charm all of its own"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Manarola
- Hotels in Manarola
- Transportation in Manarola
- Nightlife in Manarola
- Restaurants in Manarola
- Shopping in Manarola
- Warnings and Dangers in Manarola
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Manarola
- 11 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (52)
Have you been to Manarola?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Manarola
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 25 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue