Padova Things to Do Tips by rexvaughan
Padova Things to Do: 276 reviews and 592 photos
It is all I can do to keep myself from pronouncing this man's name like the Central American country, but his is evidently a revered Venetian Republic commander and has nothing to do with Guatemala. Apart from his personal history, this is a magnificent bronze statue said to the first one of size cast since Roman times. It was done in 1453 by Donatello and stands just outside St. Anthony's Basilica.
Cloister of the Novitiates
The Basilica of St. Anthony houses his remains and has attracted pilgrims for 800 years. It is also a place where you can turn around a couple of times and see Donatello statues and reliefs at every turn. The interior is graced by a huge Donatello crucifix and his bronze statue of Mary with six saints over the altar. And it is sitting on a base filled with Donatello reliefs. And of course, the grand equestrian Gattamelata bronze dominates the square in front of the Basilica.
This lovely cloister dates from the 15th C and features the intricate well head from that century by Giovanni Minello.
I persuaded the lovely nun in the photo to leave with me!
More Reviews (3)
rexvaughan's Related Pages
Padova Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Padova...our new home...for now"
- "PADOVA - PADUA"
- "Focal Point of the Past"
- "Padova, Padua, Padoa, Patavium"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Padova
- Hotels in Padova
- Transportation in Padova
- Nightlife in Padova
- Restaurants in Padova
- Shopping in Padova
- Warnings and Dangers in Padova
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Padova
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (49)
Have you been to Padova?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Padova
Photos in PadovaSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 92 reviews, 236 photos, 5 travelogues
- London Intro, 57 reviews, 186 photos, 5 travelogues
- Decatur Intro, 40 reviews, 123 photos, 4 travelogues
- Washington D.C. Intro, 32 reviews, 117 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Atlanta Intro, 29 reviews, 80 photos, 4 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 25 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Prague Intro, 21 reviews, 64 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oklahoma City Intro, 28 reviews, 56 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Alsace Intro, 19 reviews, 53 photos, 1 travelogue
- Basilica di San Antonio- 47 Reviews, 98 Photos
- Prato della Valle- 28 Reviews, 70 Photos
- Palazzo della Ragione- 24 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Scrovegni Chapel - Cappella degli Scrovegni- 17 Reviews, 29 Photos
- Duomo di Padova- 15 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Basilica di Santa Giustina- 13 Reviews, 25 Photos
- Botanical Gardens - Orto Botanico- 6 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Tomb of Antenor- 6 Reviews, 12 Photos
- University- 15 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Caffe Pedrocchi- 4 Reviews, 8 Photos
See All Padova Things to Do