"The Lovely Loire Valley" Top 5 Page for this destination Amboise by rexvaughan

Amboise Travel Guide: 132 reviews and 381 photos

Famous folks

Amboise is a very pretty but sort of sleepy little city with nice chateau on top of the hill overlooking the Loire. Some sort of fortification has sat here since Roman times. The city's main claim to fame is this chateau of Chares VIII, the Chateau du Clos-Luce which was home to Leonardo da Vinci and one somewhere in the vicinity that is one of the homes of Mick Jaegger. Quite a mix of characters.

da Vinci's tomb

There is some debate about where da Vinci is buried but some agreement that Amboise is the most likely - here in the Chapel of St. Hubert in the Chateau. He was originally buried in the Chateau's Collegiate Church, but his remains moved after a fire destroyed it in 1806.

Pleasant city

Amboise is an attractive and enjoyable city apart from the big attractions. There are lots of lovely creperies, tea rooms, cafes, shops, etc. The streets are picturesque like the one here of the narrow stone passageway under the clock tower. We saw a lot of the city as we walked from the Chateau to the Clos Luce.

• Pros:Lots of attractions in a small city
  • In a nutshell:A Gem on the Loire
  • Last visit to Amboise: Oct 2004
  • Intro Written Nov 1, 2004

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I can feel through your writing that you had a wonderful time here. I love your accommodation and also learning about what went on in the "house of light"

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2008 at 12:06 PM

ooh, don't you looove tarte tatin :-) Nice little page a.d good tips, Rex. I have not yet built my Amboise page, [blush]

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Dec 6, 2006 at 4:48 PM

This is the France that I would love to visit. I found these pages just enchanting. The hotel looks and sounds just magnificent, especially having the great restaurant. Bravo!

• Sue08080's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2006 at 6:07 AM

All of your French pages are great Rex. I'm stopping now for a snack after reading another restaurant review!!! :)

• Tote_sweet's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2005 at 11:31 AM

Hi there & thanks for your info. Its really usefull, i thought no one would help me in this. It sounds you had great times. Looking forward to visit the place.

• CALSF's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2005 at 8:58 AM

Salut Rex! I know I have to visit more of France and not just concentrate on Paris (hard to do I admit)! I really loved your Amboise page and would love to visit for sure one day. ~Cheryl~

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 9:12 AM

Nice page about a lovely town

rexvaughan

“Travel is fatal to prejudice - Mark Twain”

Badges & Stats in Amboise

Have you been to Amboise?

Latest Activity in Amboise